Why purchase a product that you know is likely to crack?

Dear All

I can't help but notice the forum posts that relate to cracks developing in the firebox and/or shell. Which leads me to ask, why would you purchase a ceramic Kamado grill which has the potential to crack? This is not a troll post - I am genuinely interested. And I am even more interested in why someone hasn't produced a Kamado that is impervious to cracking. Or is it simply something we have to live with due to the limitations of the materials and the cooking medium?

Shell cracking is not common.  You do hear about it on social media because people tend to post about it.  Unhappy folks talk louder than happy ones.  Firebox cracking is more common but i have yet to have a cracked piece of a Kamado Joe multi-piece firebox... i believe that problem has mostly been solved.

There are quite a few kamado options available that are not ceramic if you want something like that.  You can get a basic double-wall insulated steel kamado like a Chargriller Akorn or on the higher end, a Weber Summit.  You can get a Golden's cast iron kamado... or a Blaze kamado that is made out of aluminum.  The options are there.  The cooking properties will be entirely different though.  I like the temperature stability of the ceramic kamados.  You won't find that level of stability with the others.

Thanks John. Prompt response and helpful as always in providing detail and clarification.

I'm leaning towards using clay, ceramic and refractory cements for my product over the metal options purely out of homage to the original spirit and authenticity of the grills, and would rather use them in fabrication. I think they have a nicer aesthetic and appeal to customers. 

Regards

David

21 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Firebox cracking is more common but i have yet to have a cracked piece of a Kamado Joe multi-piece firebox... i believe that problem has mostly been solved.

Exactly, cracking the firebox is not even something that enters my consciousness now!!! That is, unless I drop a petal during cleaning... :-D

My metal grill is an Akorn, Junior, and my Dad's is a Senior.  I've never owned a ceramic grill, but both of us are by now very familiar with, and very satisfied with, our metal grills.  It's really very easy to achieve whatever oven-temperature you want, and then "it just stays there."  Even for hours.  (As long as you don't have some other extenuating circumstance, like lots of flammable fat dropping into the fire.)  Darndest thing I'd ever seen ... my "Smokey Joe" went to the yard sale instantly. :)

I know quite a few people who have various ceramic types and I've never heard any of them tell direct-or-indirect stories about encountering cracks.  Just make very sure that the grill cannot fall over, I think.  Unless maybe you are shooting for extraordinary temperatures, I really can't imagine you doing anything that could "faze" a piece of ceramic.

1 hour ago, MikeRobinson said:

My metal grill is an Akorn, Junior, and my Dad's is a Senior.  I've never owned a ceramic grill, but both of us are by now very familiar with, and very satisfied with, our metal grills.  It's really very easy to achieve whatever oven-temperature you want, and then "it just stays there."  Even for hours.  (As long as you don't have some other extenuating circumstance, like lots of flammable fat dropping into the fire.)  Darndest thing I'd ever seen ... my "Smokey Joe" went to the yard sale instantly. :)

I know quite a few people who have various ceramic types and I've never heard any of them tell direct-or-indirect stories about encountering cracks.  Just make very sure that the grill cannot fall over, I think.  Unless maybe you are shooting for extraordinary temperatures, I really can't imagine you doing anything that could "faze" a piece of ceramic.

This thread has gone far enough.  We have established the fact that ceramic grills can crack.  There is no need to continue pointless discussion on it.  If the original poster had some intent with this thread other than re-establishing a well known fact, please let me know what it was.  This is a Kamado forum and a majority of the people here are using ceramic kamados.  If you are going to invent a new product that will win over all the ceramic kamado owners, let us see it when it's ready for testing.