Close Call / safety advisory

Roasted a nice little 3lb chicken with potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery last night. Came out great, and my wife and I enjoyed half of it. After dinner I sliced up the remaining breast and pulled the meat off the bone. I set my 8" Global on the bottom edge of the cutting board, and started to put the chicken in a ziplock on it's way to the fridge.  The zip lock bag caught the handle of my knife and sent it off the cutting board and sliding off the edge of the granite counter and down to the floor blade first. The tip struck me directly in the top of my foot, cutting right through the top of my shoe and penetrating my foot. Stabbed me pretty good, but missed the veins on the top of my foot, and didn't need stitches. None the less it scared the heck out of me.  After the incident and no serious damage to my foot, I laughed at thinking at least the tip didn't hit the ceramic tile and break, I love that knife.  Be careful out there:)

IMG_1866.thumb.jpeg.aa3a0c0cbeae1e75efb46f922df8873e.jpeg

I'm glad you're OK.

I little related story:  When I was in Army basic training one of our training areas was "Bayonet".  You charged through it with your bayonet fixed to your rifle, stabbing various straw filled dummies, growling loudly the whole way (if the drill sergeants didn't think you were aggressive enough or growled loudly enough, you got to do it again).   The last obstacle was a slanted pit you jumped into with a dummy you stabbed while jumping in and another you stabbed while running out.  We had a Korea War vet who reenlisted for Vietnam and had to do basic again with the rest of us, but he was the most impressive (for a old guy, as we thought then) and his growling on that course was epic.  One trip through the course we all heard him growling and grunting as he stabbed dummies, until he abruptly went silent for about 10 seconds and then started screaming "Medic!".  In that last obstacle he missed the dummy and instead got his left foot  resulting in about 2" of bayonet sticking out of the bottom of his combat boot.  The sergeants rushed over, detached the bayonet from his rifle and had some of us carry him over to the tables set up in the waiting area to await the medics, bayonet still through his boot (well, technically, his foot), because none of us were about to pull that thing out of a 3/4" thick combat boot sole.  There were a lot of recruits not looking at him or each other while waiting for the ambulance.  We never saw him again.   Glad you didn't need stitches.  I have no idea what he needed.

Keeper your lucky in another way. Several years ago I was building a rc model airplane at my buddies house and he had an exacto knife roll off his work bench and just by pure reflex he grabbed and caught it  in mid air. Result was a trip to the ER with blade through his hand. Glad your ok and the knife too.

1 minute ago, len440 said:

Keeper your lucky in another way. Several years ago I was building a rc model airplane at my buddies house and he had an exacto knife roll off his work bench and just by pure reflex he grabbed and caught it  in mid air. Result was a trip to the ER with blade through his hand. Glad your ok and the knife too.

I was told by a chef I worked for many, many years ago that a falling knife has no handle--only blade edge and point.  

4 hours ago, Jack. said:

I was told by a chef I worked for many, many years ago that a falling knife has no handle--only blade edge and point. 

4 hours ago, len440 said:

You know, it happed so fast I didn’t even have a chance to grab for it. ( probably a good thing) It came off my cutting board and then skittered off the hard granite counter top falling tip down into my foot.

I got a pretty good lecture from my wife:oops:

16 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

You know, it happed so fast I didn’t even have a chance to grab for it. ( probably a good thing) It came off my cutting board and then skittered off the hard granite counter top falling tip down into my foot.

I got a pretty good lecture from my wife:oops:

we got the "LECTURE" from his wife also. I got an extra one because she thought I was trying to drop him off and  escape before she got home 

Had this happen a while back with a Henkle's 8" chef knife. It went down tip first, hit the

ceramic tile and broke about .25" section off. Fortunately, there is a knife sharpening

shop not far from me and they reshaped the blade. They did a great job and I'm a lot

more careful now.