Cast Iron Grates

Loving nearly everything about my new Kamodo II...but I'm disappointed with the stainless grates.

I find them too lightweight and flimsy...can easily become unseated from their stand, especially 

when using a brush to clean.  Actually lost two burgers into the coals because I accidentally snagged

the edge of one (in the middle gap) with a spatula.

I'm considering the heavier cast-iron grates as a replacement/upgrade, but would first like to 

know of any issues/drawbacks in using them.

First-time poster here...any help is much appreciated!  -JB

@JayBee Welcome. Hav you made sure that you have your stainless steel grates positioned properly D&C rack? The curved edge of the grate should rest on the flat side of the D&C rack and the ends should sit on either side of the raised pin (for lack of a better term) on the D&C rack. See the picture below.

Grates.thumb.jpg.939b2e3a045b82aa6aa531f835faf5db.jpg

Edited by Golf Griller
Added picture

lightweight and flimsy would not enter my mind when discussing the KJ grates.

+1 on GG's suggestion. Properly seating the grates removed 99% of all movement on this end. That said, I upgraded my grates primarily because I am a perfectionist that couldn't stand to see the shiny new SS grates less than... shiny and new...:wacko:

Golf is correct about the "pins" sticking up. I use mine rotated 90 degrees from Golfs this way I brush front to back when cleaning . The pins are also used with the star circle thing to lock it in place.

I’m with the OP - not a big fan of the stock KJ SS grates and also find them flimsy - maybe not the grates themselves, but how they mount. And yes, I have them positioned properly, yet they still move too easily for my taste. I’ll eventually upgrade, but the current grates are at least functional and I want the soapstone first. @CentralTexBBQ, if memory serves me correctly, you have a custom cast iron grate that is really sweet!

• 3 weeks later...

Golf Griller is correct.. when I finally learned the way he is talking about I've not had any problems since.They need to have that in the manual..or did I just miss it?

On 10/22/2021 at 8:33 AM, A.O. said:

when I finally learned the way he is talking about I've not had any problems since. They need to have that in the manual..or did I just miss it?

Looked in the manual.  If you look at the pictures, they show the orientation of the grates relative to the pins on the D & C frame, but they really don't mention it in the writeup.  Also, they show the same for the half-stones, but again no discussion - just in the pictures, so easy to overlook.

Speaking of manuals, it would have been nice for the KJ ash basket to have either a short manual on use or a link to the nice video @John Setzler did on the subject.  But when I got the basket, there was nothing in the box but the basket, divider, and lots of styrofoam.  Trying to get the deflector plates to work on those without instructions could have led to a bad ending without that video (and the suggestion from @Never L8 4 chow in the pinned discussion to tweak the ears in a bit).