Another Fireboard 2 Drive Pro question

I have (had) a HeaterMeter that I built and loved.  Great device.  My son liked it too.  After I thought I broke it, it disappeared and miraculously showed up at his place on his new smoker.  Well, he "borrowed" it but the "borrow" has apparently turned into an "adoption"... just like a LOT of my tools have been "adopted".  But I digress.

I really don't have time right now to build and 3D print the stuff again for another HeaterMeter so I am buying a Fireboard 2 Drive Pro.  I liked the K-Type thermocouple on my HeaterMeter.  Extremely durable and high temperature capable.  And they are dirt cheap if you buy them anywhere OTHER than Fireboard or any other BBQ company.

My question is about fans.  A LOT of Fireboard 2 Drive people seem to use the Pit Viper fan instead of the Fireboard fan.  My question is... why?  Is the Pit Viper better?  And last, is the Pit Viper fan plug and play with the Fireboard drive 2 Pro?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Tom

The pit viper fan will work seamlessly with the fireboard.  I think the reason folks may like that fan more than the fireboard fan is because the adapter plates for that fan fit in the kamado joe slider track much better than the plates for the fireboard fan.  Most people are hardcore on PRECISION and when you don't have an airtight fit at the lower vent, the perception is that you will have problems.  I have both fans and I prefer the durability factor on the fireboard fan.  The fireboard fan is also capable of 20cfm if you want/need it (which you don't really in a kamado) and the Pit Viper is a 10cfm fan.  10cfm is also too much for a kamado in most cases.  I run my fireboard fan at 20% of max in my classic joe.  That turns it into a 4cfm fan.  

• 3 weeks later...

I played with my Fireboard equipment today including the fan for the first time today. Worked great.  I have had a Pit Bull for many, many years and it just died, to use it I had to choke it way down .  Love Pit Bull, performed in the heat, rain, extremely cold temps (Texas, anything below 60) flawlessly.  But I opted to stay with one brand.  Gotta say it looks really cool in an Alien kinda way.  Not sure about the reliably yet.