Ceiling issues?

Going back and forth on siting a new Kamado.  Choices are either uncovered on a patio, or inside a screened enclosure.  The second has a white aluminum roof, about 7 feet above the floor.  My concern over siting the grill there would be the heat and smoke that the roof would be exposed to.  

Any thoughts whether I'm overly concerned, or whether this could be an issue?

Thanks

1 hour ago, prowe said:

Outside on a block patio. Away from the house a bit.   These things contain fire.

Yeah, that's my first thought.   But I see these things built into outdoor kitchens, with solid roofs, and I was just wondering....

If you look closely at the outdoor kitchens with roofs, you'll probably notice they are a lot higher than 7'.    Even with  open sides, on a windless day a 7' roof will smoke you along with your food.  IMHO 9' is a good start for a roof over a open smoker enclosure.

9 hours ago, PHEAD said:

you can always buy a pop up umbrella if you need to cook in the rain

We're at almost 100 inches of rain already this year (way over average), so that's definitely a consideration.  By now, so used to it that more bothered by getting the food wet pulling it off the grill.  :)  Umbrella would help there, for sure.

5 hours ago, eric said:

Mine is under my patio, it has never been a issue.

You need to include a picture.  Most of us envision patios made of brick, adobe or stone.  I went to LSU and know things get a little wet at times.

I always stop short of recommending grilling close to the house or under enclosures because you are dealing with fire and God forbid it should catch while the wife, kids or grands are there sleeping. Just don’t want to deal with the aftermath of that advice.  That said, my kamado is hands down the safest grill, smoker I’ve ever used, particularly with the newer vent cap. Unless, I am cooking wide open or using crappy, sparky lump, precious little if any sparks escape from the bottom vent.

So while  my BJ currently sits the recommended 25 feet away from my house, if I had an enclosed area, I don’t see myself hesitating to setup there. I’d definitely be a tad more cautious however. Hard to imagine a 7’ roof- seems unusually low.

I have seen folks put the K in a screened enclosure and placed a box fan near the screen.

The fan drew smoke away from the K and blew it through the screen to the outside. Just a

thought.

Just for fun, or maybe to show off a little is my set up, I built it with outside cooking in mind. Its a cabana for my pool with an extended bit of concrete to put my cooker on out from under the roof with the idea I can pull it under the roof in inclement weather. It does have a ceiling fan to disperse the smoke, cool me down , and blow away the flies. I have also mounted an umbrella that I can swing over the hot tub, or swivel it over the cooker to shield me from rain or the blazing sun in the summer.. here's a couple pics

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

On 10/4/2021 at 1:59 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

Hard to imagine a 7’ roof- seems unusually low.

Yeah, the aluminum patio cover comes off the fascia of the house, with some low pitch to it, so it starts at less than 8 feet and drops off from there.  And while the patio cover is only aluminum (no combustible issue), there's enough wood in the vicinity to potentially be an issue.  My initial concern was more getting smoke marks on the patio ceiling, but thinking more about it, probably an outside-the-patio location at least for now.  And that was going to the the location, if / when the grill gets a permanent table home, at any rate.