Hello from wet & windy Scotland

pjm1

Hi all, I'm waiting for my first (but hopefully not last) Kamado to arrive later this week... a Junior Joe.  Google found me this site last week and I've been down the rabbit hole ever since :-D

BBQ is something I've dabbled with over the years: progressing from a cheapo trolley BBQ to a 57cm Weber kettle and now my first ceramic baby.  I've managed a bit of low and slow (ish) on the kettle, but temp control was a wee bit challenging, especially for brisket.  I can see a Big Joe III on the horizon maybe next year if the experiment with his smaller brother goes well!  The weather here is frequently wet, rarely brutally cold but equally rarely hot and sunny... so the prospect of keeping myself warm next to a kamado is appealing!  I have a spot undercover for my Junior Joe, but that depends on the direction of the wind I guess.

I love experimenting with cooking: I've been into sous vide for a good few years and spent a couple of decades now teaching myself as much as I can about classical French cooking techniques.  The great thing about learning the "old ways" is it gives you a great platform to create some "new ways".  I'm hoping BBQ will be similar over the next couple of decades!

Other food-related things I enjoy... curing my own bacon (British style, i.e. cold smoked or unsmoked), the science of cooking and sourdough - bit of a link between all of those, I guess.  The next rabbit hole will probably be fermentation, especially fermented hot sauce which I love...

Looking forward to learning much, much more here and interacting with you all.  Thanks for the great content so far!

PJM welcome hope Jr works out for you. I can predict some good eats ahead for you, will be a bit of a learning curve, but you'll get through it. Have you read this? Before I go my neighbor told me to thank you for the 2 greatest inventions ever , Golf and Scotch.

Well that was a surprise… the Kamado arrived this afternoon! Ordered it on Sunday and it was supposed to be a 3-5 day delivery. Result!!

Thanks both!  Did my first cook this evening (obviously!) - a roast spatchcock chicken, of course :-D

I was racing to get it on the table for 7:30 (we have two junior school kids) so didn’t mess around with any fanciness - just carved it up and enjoyed! Was surprised to see a hint of smoke ring given how short a time it was in the Joe and I didn’t use any smoking wood. Breast was at about 67 and legs went up to 75-80 which was surprising as I struggle to get such a temp differential in the oven… result!

429CC7DE-CDCC-4FB8-A334-8187636078C6.jpeg

85989CB8-0140-4ECA-811D-6D6C16B07F20.jpeg

Thanks! If I had more time I would have brined the chook overnight. The underside was a bit overdone - need to get my CI griddle under my rack as well perhaps as a second heat deflector??

On 10/5/2021 at 3:59 AM, pjm1 said:

The next rabbit hole will probably be fermentation, especially fermented hot sauce which I love...

Welcome to the forum. Your chicken looks delicious.

There is a YouTuber in the UK ChilliChump (https://www.youtube.com/c/Chillichump/videos) who grows his own chillies and makes fermented hot sauce. He has several videos on the process for fermenting the hot sauce.

That is a good looking yard bird your off to a good start. About the smoke ring. I've been using charcoal starting with my Dad since the mid 50s and to come clean never owned a Webber water  buoy grill ( that was the first one was made from ) some of my grills had lids on but I always used them open. My first bird on my Classic II came out too smokie for us with some experimenting I found out this was because 1 flavor from the charcoal brand I was using and 2: I was using my classic II with the dome closed. This allowed the smoke flavor from the charcoal to stay in contact with the bird longer and the bird absorbed it. If I did the bird with the lid open no smoke flavor. If I changed brands of charcoal I can do the bird with the dome closed. This is just a part of the learning curve with using charcoal, even if using it for umpteen years. Also what make the Kamado experience fun, and we're never to old to learn something. Looking forward to seeing more cooks from you. 

20 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

Welcome to the forum. Your chicken looks delicious.

There is a YouTuber in the UK ChilliChump (https://www.youtube.com/c/Chillichump/videos) who grows his own chillies and makes fermented hot sauce. He has several videos on the process for fermenting the hot sauce.

Thanks GG - will take a look at that channel!

18 hours ago, len440 said:

That is a good looking yard bird your off to a good start. About the smoke ring. I've been using charcoal starting with my Dad since the mid 50s and to come clean never owned a Webber water  buoy grill ( that was the first one was made from ) some of my grills had lids on but I always used them open. My first bird on my Classic II came out too smokie for us with some experimenting I found out this was because 1 flavor from the charcoal brand I was using and 2: I was using my classic II with the dome closed. This allowed the smoke flavor from the charcoal to stay in contact with the bird longer and the bird absorbed it. If I did the bird with the lid open no smoke flavor. If I changed brands of charcoal I can do the bird with the dome closed. This is just a part of the learning curve with using charcoal, even if using it for umpteen years. Also what make the Kamado experience fun, and we're never to old to learn something. Looking forward to seeing more cooks from you. 

Thanks Len.  It's all a learning experience for me at the moment and great fun as such.

Just to try something different - we were having sausage & mash last night so I decided to "oven" cook the sausages in the kamado.  My parents are here at the moment, so I was cooking for six.  Deflector was on and just started the fire with the remnants of charcoal from Tuesday evening's cook.  I even found a small rack that seems to serve as a grill extender and allowed me to throw some baked potatoes on for the last 15... (that's how I make mash - put skinned baked potatoes into a ricer).

Sausages may have gone slightly over but everyone was happy and I got to use my junior joe in a different way again!

BBQ sausages 2021-10-06 at 18.23.06.jpeg