Grilled Sea Bass in Yuzu Miso, Coriander Seed, Cilantro & Pink Peppercorn

A beautiful Chilean Sea Bass steak from Costco, rubbed with lemon-infused EVOO, grilled skin-side-down on the Joe Jr. at 450* to an IT of 100*.  Brushed halfway with prepared Yuzu Miso sauce (I've made the sauce from scratch several times and still prefer the commercially prepared version).

Plated with a base of the warmed sauce seasoned with crushed coriander seed, soft pink peppercorn and Maldon salt flakes. Garnished with cilantro and lemon wedges. Yum!!

Thanks for Looking and Happy Cooking.

yuzu10.jpg

yuzu8.jpg

yuzu1.jpg

yuzu5.jpg

yuzu7.jpg

yuzu6.jpg

yuzu3.jpg

yuzu2.jpg

Looks outstanding and perfect timing from my perspective. I’m planning halibut for dinner tonight, since it’s my wife’s favorite fish. I take it you kept the sea bass skin side down for the entire cook, correct? I have some cedar planks that I plan to use since I still don’t have a soapstone yet.

1 hour ago, jark87 said:

Looks outstanding and perfect timing from my perspective. I’m planning halibut for dinner tonight, since it’s my wife’s favorite fish. I take it you kept the sea bass skin side down for the entire cook, correct? I have some cedar planks that I plan to use since I still don’t have a soapstone yet.

Thank you, jark87.  Yes, skin-side down for the entire cook.  I've used halibut for this cook and it was delicious.  A flat surface of some support under the fish is pretty much essential.  I used GrillGrates and the GG lifting tool for ease or removal, but a pre-heated cast iron skillet and fish spatula would work fine.  The idea is to firm up the top and then add just a little color by brushing on the sauce midway so that it does not burn. 

6 minutes ago, John Setzler said:
12 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Sublime.

7 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@Jack Is the internal temp of 100° a typo or did you actually cook it that rare?

Many thanks John.  100* is not a typo.  I find that thick fish steaks like this, or halibut, or steelhead cooked to  100*/105* then rested briefly before saucing yields a silky smooth interior--cooked, but not over baked and dried out.

3 hours ago, pjm1 said:

That looks amazing!  I love sous vide for meaty fish like that, perhaps with a butter baste or sear at the end... but can't fault the execution here. :bravo:

Thank you, pjm1.  I'm not a big fan of fish sous vide; the texture and flavor of the grill, including that slight browning on top and light smokiness,  really make a thick fish steak like this something special.

21 minutes ago, Jack. said:

Thank you, pjm1.  I'm not a big fan of fish sous vide; the texture and flavor of the grill, including that slight browning on top and light smokiness,  really make a thick fish steak like this something special.

I might try a slab of sea bass sous vide and then finish it under the new broiler...

33 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I might try a slab of sea bass sous vide and then finish it under the new broiler...

I'd love to see the finish that superbroiler puts on a piece of fish.  I'll wager it's pretty amazing.

6 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

I kinda teared up not seeing a crispy piece of skin on that beautiful dish....

That’s the funny thing though - it would be classic presentation to serve it crispy skin side up… but the star of this show is the delicious smoky and gently charred flesh so I think it would be travesty to flip it over!!

Yep, you really get this presentation, pjm1. :good:

The sauce browns and caramelizes on top, the skin stays dark and crispy on the bottom, and the center is silky smooth white.  The textures and flavors just really work for me.