Scalded Dog

Scalded Dog

On 10/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, A.O. said:

WHY?

the top vent stays in place.

folks will tell you it’s easy to readjust the daisy wheel. They are correct. But multiply that by three thousand cooks and it makes life easier.

no rain getting in the top vent while cooking.   Has never actually caused me a problem with the daisy wheel....but one thing I don’t have to worry about.

the air lift hinge is awesome.   Folks will tell you the lid ain’t that heavy...but x 30000 cooks saves time and effort. 
the gasket is bulletproof.  My felt needs to be replaced on the big joe.

when the little things are easier it makes for a more enjoyable experience. It is a bigger up front investment, but an investment in happiness is always a good investment.     Now, if you plan to use the grill only a few times a year it may not be as big a deal. 

by the way, a few years ago when they released the classic 2 I was on these boards saying the top vent is not an issue, air lift hinge is not nessicary, replacing cheap felt is pretty easy and who cares about the firebox as it’s under warranty.  Then I got one. And I appreciate all the little things it improves.

my $0.02.

• 1 month later...

I did a lot of research between BJ 1, 2, and 3, and ultimately decided that the upgrades on the 2 were worth it to me.  In hindsight, I'll probably eventually end up spending the difference between the 2 and 3 on accessories anyway and should have just gone with the 3, but that was too much of an up-front cost to swallow.

It's my first Joe so I don't have experience with them, but I have an Akorn and I've replaced the gaskets with the nomex felt style that I think is used on the KJ 1s (I know it's used on the Eggs) and while it was amazing at first, I found that I do need to replace it more than I'd like, as after many uses, there's definitely some air leaks. and it gets filthy.  The gaskets in the 2 seem like they'd be bulletproof - but again, I haven't used it yet. 

The air-lift hinge isn't a big deal at all.  I can't imagine the dome on a Classic being to heavy for the occasional weekend BBQer to have an issue with.  

The Kontrol top tower thing is a really nice upgrade over the daisy wheel.  My Akorn has a similar daisy wheel, and while you can still control temps, it's very sensitive to wind, and living where I do, I often have to clip a little umbrella to the grill handle to make sure rain doesn't get in through the wheel.

Now, you could get the Classic 1 and upgrade the gasket and Kontrol top for less than a Classic 2, but I'd ensure that all the cool accessories that your son may use are compatible with the Classic 1.  One reason I went with KJ was because of all of the cool (overpriced, IMO) accessories, and I made sure that everything for the 3 also works for the 2.  If you choose the 1, just make sure everything you or he may buy in the future is compatible.

On 10/23/2021 at 10:48 AM, prowe said:

the top vent stays in place.

folks will tell you it’s easy to readjust the daisy wheel. They are correct. But multiply that by three thousand cooks and it makes life easier.

no rain getting in the top vent while cooking.   Has never actually caused me a problem with the daisy wheel....but one thing I don’t have to worry about.

the air lift hinge is awesome.   Folks will tell you the lid ain’t that heavy...but x 30000 cooks saves time and effort. 
the gasket is bulletproof.  My felt needs to be replaced on the big joe.

when the little things are easier it makes for a more enjoyable experience. It is a bigger up front investment, but an investment in happiness is always a good investment.     Now, if you plan to use the grill only a few times a year it may not be as big a deal. 

by the way, a few years ago when they released the classic 2 I was on these boards saying the top vent is not an issue, air lift hinge is not nessicary, replacing cheap felt is pretty easy and who cares about the firebox as it’s under warranty.  Then I got one. And I appreciate all the little things it improves.

my $0.02.

So if you use it EVERY SINGLE DAY one cook a day, thats 82 years!!  

4 hours ago, A.O. said:

So if you use it EVERY SINGLE DAY one cook a day, thats 82 years!! 

Nothing like being optimistic :)

I will say I'm a lot more comfortable with using the Smokewares top than the original.daisy wheel.  Other than that, and adding the KJ ash basket, the Classic I is just what I needed.  And I'm pretty sure that all the dimensions on the 1 and 2 are the same, so all accessories should fit just fine.  The Joetisserie does.

13 hours ago, Boater said:

Nothing like being optimistic :)

I will say I'm a lot more comfortable with using the Smokewares top than the original.daisy wheel.  Other than that, and adding the KJ ash basket, the Classic I is just what I needed.  And I'm pretty sure that all the dimensions on the 1 and 2 are the same, so all accessories should fit just fine.  The Joetisserie does.

Yeah, I’m still working on getting my Kontrol Tower functional