Richy

Richy

Hey guys please help!

My top and bottom domes are uneven and smoke is coming from the read of the kamado. Is this a case of loosening the bands? I did this and chipped the edge of the top dome. Many thanks in advance.

Richy

20211008_165853.jpg

@Richy

Taken from another source:

Instructions for dome, base, hinge removal and installation

These instructions cover safe removal and installation of the airlift hinge for parts replacement, along with how to fix a lid overbite where the dome is hitting the top of the latch instead of locking closed.

Take the bushing kit and nut that came with the grill, install it on the threaded rod that runs down through the hinge housing. This locks the hinge closed for safety and also allows for easier reassembly for lining up the dome.

Next, remove the bottom latch.

For fixing an overbite: Loosen (don't remove) the acorn nuts on the dome and base hinge brackets then skip down to section (A).

If replacing hinge, dome or base: remove the acorn nuts on dome and base hinge brackets.

Remove hinge and bands from broken part. Reinstall bands on new parts.

(A) Slide and reposition the dome while still sitting on the base until the edges are flush with the base. (Install hinge if removed and follow tightening sequence below.)

Now tighten the dome bolts, alternating from one nut at the time (left inside nut, right inside nut, left middle, right middle, etc).

Now tighten the base nuts in the same way.

Check that the front edge of the dome is still flush with the front of the base.

Now install the base latch and remove the bushing lock kit.

It's important that the brackets are sufficiently tightened.

If you have a torque wrench, go 10 foot pounds or 120 inch pounds.

Hey John thanks for the speedy reply. I will tackle this when it gets light and let you know how it goes. I'm so gutted I chipped my top dome. :-(

Hey @John Setzler

All worked out fine, locked the air hinge and adjusted the bands and I now have a flush, airtight dome seal. Thank for the advice. You should do a YouTube video on dome adjustment. Thanks again my friend.

• 3 weeks later...

@Richy

Hi, I have this problem too (KJ Classic III). Although I haven't measured it, I think the gap opens up more at high temps, but I can still get my finger between the gaskets when its cold. I am unsure whether it was like this when I got it (new) six months ago or whether its developed after a few pizza cooks. I have spoken to KJ and they suggested that I loosen the band bolts and physically push the dome down. My concern is that the band is already at the upper lip on the dome, just like yours in the pictures above. I don't think this will work for me (personally I think my upper band is bent). Anyway, I am going do what KJ suggest on Saturday, but before I get stuck in with my spanners, a bit more info on what you did would be great.

Did you take off the hinge and both bands and effectively start again, or was it a case of loosening the just the band bolts on the upper and/or lower band? If it was the latter, did the dome just drop into place?

Any further advice would be very much appreciated!

Mike

Birmingham (UK)