New grill, KJ Classic I - questions and comment

Boater

Ended up getting a KJ C 1 from a local big box home improvement store. They had one in stock, and offered free delivery and setup. So I took that, with a bit of trepidation. Grill arrived today and yep, there were some issues.  I think they are minor though.  Several small pieces of ceramic chipped off the firebox and petals. But all seemed still very functional, purely cosmetic damage. 

So, first question - small chips - maybe an inch across, quarter inch thick at most - significant enough to be concerned over?  I did not see any cracks in any of the tiles or the box, just those chips. 

IMG_20211010_112252418_HDR.thumb.jpg.d157e4c3c37cdf0479ab0613bb95f7b8.jpg

They'd also managed to bend one of the brackets that hold on the side shelves, and the arm of that side shelf.  I straightened them back out, but scuffed the paint pretty good. Recommendations on touch-up paint?

And some interesting, good news.  The side shelves are not of the HDPE as advertised for the I and II version. Rather, they are painted metal (mild steel?, magnetic at least). Is this a new mod for the lower tiers of the Classic, or are they plastic-filled or something?   The KJ website still describes them as made of HDPE.  IMG_20211010_112301255_HDR.thumb.jpg.d0f0786dc7c41d5a5f737cce1f1dc1f0.jpg

Grill is cooling down from an initial burn, done so I could see if any additional damage shows up under heat stress.  Worked fine, but also showed me I have some learning to do.  Quite a bit different from the kettles I'm used to.  Unless something unexpected shows up in the morning, it's chicken parts for lunch :)

Considering you're the original owner, you could probably file a warranty claim and get all the damage parts replaced at no cost.

The metal shelves are from the gen III I believe, so that sounds like you got a free upgrade.

@jtemple, I agree I probably could.  But it was my thoughtlessness in having a big box store put it together then bring it to me that likely caused the issue. I'd hate to hit up the warranty for a stupid move on my part that don't affect the cooking.  So I think I'll just go with taking the bracket off and straighten it back out, then some touch-up paint.

But yeah, very pleased with the steel shelves.  Though several of the screws were super loose (one missing), which surprised me. Probably 15-20 loose out of the 40 (now 39) screws holding the shelves on the brackets.  I'd picked up a small folding aluminum camping table for hot utensils, and while it might still see some use, nothing like I was expecting with the spec shelves. 

I did a base replacement on one of my grills, so I went ahead and checked the torque on the bands on the other one. I was pretty shocked to find a few of the bolts just finger tight.

I also got a KJC 1 from a big box store a couple months ago, free assembly and delivery like you said. My ceramic was all fine, but one shelf bracket was also bent, I bent it back and have had no problems with it. My shelves are also the metal ones (made sure of that at the store) I'm thinking its cheaper for KJ to use one type for all the classics than to stock numerous varieties. I swapped my shelves side to side so as to put all the hooks in the back, stuff hanging off the fron was always in my way.

My handle felt a little loose the other day so I tightened it down and checked the rest of the grill... most bolts/nuts were loose so I tightened them all down a bit.