KJ Classic 3 vs BJ3

:welcome: Mindreader101.  Lots of different opinions around here on that subject, and on the questions you should be asking yourself to assist in making the decision.  Hard to go wrong whichever way you decide.

55 minutes ago, len440 said:

Mind reader . You'll have to compare the difference between the 2 grills. Do they come with the same equipment? 

Yep same standard package with the sloroller. Basically save $100 with kJC3 or save $500 with BJ3

I have the Classic 3 and just in terms of space, I find it just a little cramped, especially if I’m trying to cook multiple items at once, like main course plus sides. I usually cook for 2-4 people at a time, but often include extras for leftovers. The grill expander helps. Many on this site are perfectly happy with the 18” size, even when cooking for groups.

I went with the Classic 3 for 2 reasons: price and built-in considerations. BJ3 was $800 higher, and more importantly, the dimensions in KJ documentation show a 39.25” clearance requirement with the lid open, vs. 35” for the Classic 3. Our outdoor kitchen design wouldn’t allow for the BJ3 clearance and barely accommodated the Classic 3 (36” counter depth with privacy screen behind that). Having said that, I’ve since discovered that the Classic 3 really only requires 27”, as the lid/control top doesn’t extend back nearly as far as shown in the documentation. Not sure if the BJ3 documentation is also inaccurate.

As Jack says above, from a functional standpoint, it’s hard to go wrong with either one.

My answer is always the same.  Buy the one that fits your needs the best.  I would ONLY buy a BIG JOE if I needed that much space at least 25% of the time.  I'd rather not have to fire up a huge grill for small cooks.  I'd also rather push a smaller grill when I need to than have to use the bigger one all the time.  

Thanks guys! Leaning towards BJ given the smaller price difference. I do have a Weber genesis for just sides cooking, but I’ve heard that unless you have a rib rack they won’t fit on a Classic. Also - I think the dojoe for the big joe is a large pizza vs a small to medium for the classic?

main concern though is with heating time as I’ve heard BJ takes a lot longer to get up to temp. What’s y’all’s experience with time to 300 deg for both the BJ and classic? Also can you heat up the BJ with just one side of the charcoal basket?

I have had lots of kamado joe grills.  When I was doing social media for KJ they gave me whatever I wanted.  I had big joes and I had classics as well as the Joe jr.  The classic was always my favorite after having had my choice of all of them.  Lots of folks do the 'go big' thing and then find themselves, like Gebo above, with something else for smaller cooks.  I cook for crowds occasionally and it's very rare that I can't get everything I want on a classic.  Since you mentioned ribs, I can comfortably cook six or maybe even 8 racks of pork spare ribs with the st. louis cut on a classic without a rib rack.  I'm not sure who made the rule that ribs (or other meats for that matter) can't be stacked and overlapping during a cook.  If that rule is in play you will get no more than two on a big joe either.  You just move them around a couple times during the cook and you are good to go.  The heat will find the meat.  

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying the big joe though... I just like to offer some realistic experience and give you the opportunity to maximize your dollar.

When I was in research / shopping mode, I seriously considered the smaller unit myself  - after 5 months of ownership, I am glad i bought the bigger unit.  When I cook, damn near everything goes on the grill - so last night was roasted sweet corn (probably the last of the season) and steaks - so there was plenty of space left in cooking for 4.  

Think about if you are going to cook on skewers (if you've got a small grill you are stuck with either shorter skewers or fewer skewers.

I've come close to running out of space even with the bigger grill (and still not had leftovers).

We must remember, John is a professional.  You ought to see me packing my suitcase or a uHaul.  Not pretty.  Very inefficient... "HONEY, can you help me?  I need some help packing."  That ineptitude strings all the way back to the KJ.  Not a good packer. I need a 26 footer where John could probably use a 15 footer. UHaul.  John, these statements are meant to be compliments.

Not to be a party pooper but I got a brand new DoJoe for the BJ that would love to sell you.  Well, not really.

I would love to sell it but not to someone that I had any emotional relationship with.  Like on this forum.

I ended up buying an Ooni for making Pizza.  I'd put the DoJoe way down  the list.  Get a rotisserie first.

And get you and OneGrill basket. TRUST me.

LOL

:good:

Edited by Gebo

4 hours ago, Gebo said:

We must remember, John is a professional.  You ought to see me packing my suitcase or a uHaul.  Not pretty.  Very inefficient... "HONEY, can you help me?  I need some help packing."  That ineptitude strings all the way back to the KJ.  Not a good packer. I need a 26 footer where John could probably use a 15 footer. UHaul.  John, these statements are meant to be compliments.

Not to be a party pooper but I got a brand new DoJoe for the BJ that would love to sell you.  Well, not really.

I would love to sell it but not to someone that I had any emotional relationship with.  Like on this forum.

I ended up buying an Ooni for making Pizza.  I'd put the DoJoe way down  the list.  Get a rotisserie first.

And get you and OneGrill basket. TRUST me.

LOL

:good:

Lol!  Let’s keep it at arms length.  So DoJoe is a bit too gimmicky? 

If I cooking for larger groups wasn't a consideration, I'd be perfectly fine with the Classic without question. That said, there is zero issue with cooking small quantities on the BJ. Using the firebasket divider, you can easily restrict the amount of lump that you use, if you so choose. Using too much lump used to be a concern very early on. But that divider hasn't seen action in years.

2 hours ago, Mindreader101 said:

Lol!  Let’s keep it at arms length.  So DoJoe is a bit too gimmicky? 

Let’s just say the KJ was not designed to be a pizza oven. How’s that?

If you want to try Pizza on a KJ, just get a pizza stone and start there.  You can always use it as a heat deflector after you become discouraged with your pizza quality.  (Slightly exaggerated)