Experiment and test.

A.O.

I got the cast iron griddle for my KJC the other day and was looking to try it out... hmmm, what to cook?? "Fries" to go with a burger perhaps, yeah that's it! I had some jalapeno cheese venison burger thawing so I got out my burger press and went to work. Then sliced up a potato, put it in a bag, sprayed it with olive oil and used my favorite rub on it.. salt pepper and garlic... shook it up shake and bake styleIMG_6423.thumb.JPG.90074dbbbccec992c180fc21071ed74c.JPGIMG_6424.thumb.JPG.d9be937c11be3f6524afcd1b567bbab8.JPG

Then out to the cooker already in progress

NAZA6193.thumb.JPG.5277b17d4e9f8251c274428ce4eab12c.JPG

Add the goodies...

IMG_6428.JPG.bf8a4515ffb0e37608f5eef8ca4cfe40.JPG

Turned out pretty well, 

IMG_6430.thumb.JPG.216076f675f55c1eb7b02e54bd463168.JPG

Next time I need to put the potatoes on about ten minutes before the burgers!

I've never done potatoes like this on the grill, hence the "Experiment", and the cast griddle is new, hence the "test"..

The only thing I have to say about the griddle is it has a lip all the way round the curved edge but nothing on the straight edge.. lost a couple fries in the fire, wish the lip was on the straight side too!

Nice cook - I appreciate the “experiment”! I’ve been on the fence between cast iron and soapstone. I also have the Classic and size of cooking surface is one of my concerns, especially when compared to the cast iron skillets I already own. What are thoughts on size? 

7 minutes ago, jark87 said:

Nice cook - I appreciate the “experiment”! I’ve been on the fence between cast iron and soapstone. I also have the Classic and size of cooking surface is one of my concerns, especially when compared to the cast iron skillets I already own. What are thoughts on size? 

I would guess that depends on what and how many you are cooking for. It is obviously the exact same size as one of the grates. I normally only cook for 2 of us so I'm thinking it will be plenty big enough, with that said though I think I will use 2 spatulas next time to keep stuff from falling off in the center. I like that it works with the divide and conquer set up so I can put it at different levels. And remember, this was my first cook with it so that's all I know for sure. ;-)

I've  been thinking about getting a cast iron pan without the long handle to use also if I could find a shallow one. Talk to me about the soapstone... uses/advantages and disadvantages?

I don’t have the soapstone - but I want one. I cook quite a bit of fish and the soapstone won’t absorb any fish flavor since it is truly non-porous. That also makes it maintenance-free, with no rust worries. Supposedly provides the best sear possible, but that’s probably subjective. Downsides are cost (almost 2x more than cast iron), time to temp (takes longer to heat) and it’s somewhat fragile.

I do potato cubes on the griddle all the time. Roll them in oil, a rub or chicken salt,  and on to the bbq. Depending on how hot is 10 to 20 minutes with a flip or two in there.  They get nice and crispy.  My kids love them. 

3 hours ago, Nnank76 said:

I do potato cubes on the griddle all the time. Roll them in oil, a rub or chicken salt,  and on to the bbq. Depending on how hot is 10 to 20 minutes with a flip or two in there.  They get nice and crispy.  My kids love them. 

Chicken salt??

On 10/21/2021 at 8:57 AM, A.O. said:

I've  been thinking about getting a cast iron pan without the long handle to use also if I could find a shallow one. Talk to me about the soapstone... uses/advantages and disadvantages?

A.O., I got one of these a few years ago and love it: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1MGU1WF6OY02A&dchild=1&keywords=lodge+5+qt+cast+iron+dutch+oven&qid=1635688529&sprefix=lodge+5+qt%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-7

It's 5 quart and the lid can be used for a frying pan/skillet. It doesn't have a long handle and fits inside a kamado perfectly. I've also used the lid for deep dish pizza on the Joe. I got the cast iron because I can use it in either the oven (great for stews, braising, and a bread-making machine!) or on the Joe. 

Hope that is helpful,

dh14ster

20190124_203416.jpg

Now ... when you're dealing with "cast iron," it's very important to season it.  (Here's a link from Lodge Cast Iron, talking about skillets.) 

It's very simple and you do it in your oven.  Buy a spray-can of canola-oil, spray it down, put it in your kitchen oven at 450ºF or so for about an hour, then turn off the oven let it cool naturally.  Once you've built up the seasoning – just as you would do with a cast-iron skillet – "nothing sticks to it."

After cleaning the grate, as I religiously do after every cook, I usually give it a quick "spritz" and a wipe-down before putting it away.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:13 AM, A.O. said:

Next time I need to put the potatoes on about ten minutes before the burgers!

Thanks for that tip - worked perfectly with some burgers and fries a few days ago. 

p.s. - the Lodge griddle has a lip all around, and I still lost a few fries to the fire.