yazfan

Yazfan

John:  Love your YouTube videos.

First use of a Big Joe II

Roasting two 4.5 pound chickens with beer can stands.  Using an external temperature probe.

The grill is around 320. Top and bottom are wide open.

Should I add more charcoal or have a drink and chill - and wait for the alarm to go off at 165?

YazFan  Baseball fan? welcome to the forum sounds like your off to a good start. Hopefully the birds are done now how were they? With the top and bottom full open and a full load of charcoal you make see a flaming volcano these grills will go nuke if you let them. I let mine settle at the temp I want and with the vents control it then chill and have a beverage from Kentucky or two. Hope you enjoy the grill 

@Yazfan Welcome to the Guru. Like @len440, I also let my grill settle in at the temp I want using the vents to control the temp. I will have a grape-based beverage, or a beverage from Scotland or Kentucky. while the grill is coming up to the temperature I want.

Here is a good reference that will help you on your mastery of Kamado cooking.

@Yazfan

Welcome...

I hope they came out well :)  For what it's worth, *I* never cook my chickens to 165... I almost always pull mine off when the breast temps 150 in the deepest part and then let them rest for a while.  

You will get comfortable with temp management and control with some additional cooks.  You probably just needed a little more charcoal to get to the higher temps.  In the beginning, I suggest loading the grill with a little more charcoal than you think you need and then manage the airflow to get your temps where you want them.  Once you master that process, I recommend buying a temp control system :)   I'm a big fan of the Fireboard....

21 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@Yazfan

Welcome...

I hope they came out well :)  For what it's worth, *I* never cook my chickens to 165... I almost always pull mine off when the breast temps 150 in the deepest part and then let them rest for a while.  

I concur with John re: chicken breast IT.  150* IT with a +/- 5 minute rest produces moist, tender chicken.  I have found that dry brining chicken breast, especially boneless skinless breast, makes a big difference in flavor and consistency of the meat.

Typically, I sprinkle Kosher salt on both sides and then vacuum seal (or zip bag if no vacuum sealer is available) and then refrigerate for 24 hours.  Some fresh herbs of choice never hurt, either.