A new bar for Prime Rib has been set

That looks great. But I have a question. Your temps and times say that you are searing first at 525F, then roasting lower at 250F. 

So presumably not all on the Kamado? Or at least not on one Kamado as I don't know how you'd get the heat down from 525 to 250 in less than a few hours.

Inquiring minds want to know!

10 minutes ago, adm said:

That looks great. But I have a question. Your temps and times say that you are searing first at 525F, then roasting lower at 250F. 

So presumably not all on the Kamado? Or at least not on one Kamado as I don't know how you'd get the heat down from 525 to 250 in less than a few hours.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Yeah, he mentions in the video that he's using 2 Kamados..

On 11/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, just4fn said:

I just watched the prep video and it answered all of my questions. Thanks for the video!  Was it time consuming cutting the crust off of the 4 inch roast or does it slice right off?  I would think cutting the crust off of a large roast might take a while and does it have to be perfect?

It took a minute or two.  That's why I do NOT trim before I break it down.  Its much easier to trim it from a steak edge than from the entire roast at once.

Anytime I have to sear, I do it in a very-hot cast iron skillet on my kitchen stove ... using coconut oil, which is very heat-tolerant and which doesn't make the food taste like coconuts.  After searing, the skillet goes into a turned-off oven to cool down on its own.

I use the kamado itself as a charcoal-fired convection oven.

14 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Anytime I have to sear, I do it in a very-hot cast iron skillet on my kitchen stove ... using coconut oil, which is very heat-tolerant and which doesn't make the food taste like coconuts.  After searing, the skillet goes into a turned-off oven to cool down on its own.

I use the kamado itself as a charcoal-fired convection oven.

is that the method you use when you have herbs and spices on the roast that will char and become bitter when you sear them?

Do you know how long the roast was wet aged before you put it in the Umai bag? I picked up a 25 lb bone in, untrimmed prime rib roast today that has been in the cryovac bag for 30 days. Going to Umai it tomorrow and have a 40 day dry aged roast for New Years. Thoughts? 

13 hours ago, ExTexOk said:

Do you know how long the roast was wet aged before you put it in the Umai bag? I picked up a 25 lb bone in, untrimmed prime rib roast today that has been in the cryovac bag for 30 days. Going to Umai it tomorrow and have a 40 day dry aged roast for New Years. Thoughts? 

I don't know but it would not matter.