Kamado Turkey #1, Spatchcock style

A.O.

So I'm having my kids and SIL over for thanksgiving and wanted to cook a Kamado turkey for them, I was advised here to do a practice run so we picked up a couple 10 pounders and I'm starting my first try today! :-D

First off I wanted some better shears to do my spatchcock with so I ordered a pair of Kunifu poultry shears.. oh what an improvement! the ones here closest to the turkey, my kitchen scissors next to them for comparison.IMG_6491.thumb.JPG.7e3451f653deb028aefa33d2fdfd3dce.JPG

So I spatchcocked the bird and what a pleasure using the new shears! Question for you.. All the chickens I've seen done and done myself removed the breast bone, the vid I saw on the turkey made no mention of it, so remove the breast bone or leave it in?

IMG_6492.thumb.JPG.db811be045f9989ceb5840cf897f1204.JPG

I'm going to make gravy as I saw here.. 

Instead of wings I'm using the neck, giblets, and backbone, we will see how it comes out. No roasting pan so I put it in a cast iron skillet for the first part.

IMG_6493.thumb.JPG.89d553ba510bf1678789a415f66b2c06.JPGIMG_6495.thumb.JPG.97f0c4d396c1bdb12da87ecfa4538603.JPG

Later today I'll put the bird in a brine solution to prepare for tomorrows cook... wish me luck!

I recently watched a video where the breast bone was removed. I don’t recall whose video it was, but it made sense for promoting the most even cook possible, as well as making carving easier. I plan to give it a try this year. If I find the video, I’ll send the link.

18 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

Good luck!  Looks like a good start....I leave all the other bones in myself.  All those extra to me are extra flavor!

You leave all the other bones in where?

Nevermind I just figured it out. Wouldn't think the breast bone had much flavor in it, but what do I know??

1 minute ago, jark87 said:

I recently watched a video where the breast bone was removed. I don’t recall whose video it was, but it made sense for promoting the most even cook possible, as well as making carving easier. I plan to give it a try this year. If I find the video, I’ll send the link.

Cool..  And as I said, I remove them for chickens, why not turkeys?

I always take the  breastbone out, and add it to my stock. More gelatin that way. Turkey cooks quicker, flatter, etc.

I have a post a while back about my gravy process, but this is pretty close to that.

My smoker is taking a break this year, so good luck to you all!

@A.O., split the difference. 350° is a wonderful temp. You could also compensate by going with a little more smoking wood for the cook @400°. I tend to cook in the 350°-375° range and then boost the temp to 425° or so at the end for a better skin. Good luck on the cook. However, I really don't understand the concept of practice cooks. Rather, I've never felt the need to employ them. 

Regarding breastbone removal, spatchcocking yields a remarkably even cook. And, I much prefer to have some shielding against the heat for the breast meast than not.

41 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

However, I really don't understand the concept of practice cooks.

Too funny. I’ve often felt like I needed to do one, but never have. Last year was the first time I could have benefited from a practice cook. Before I had the KJ, I tried a deconstructed turkey on the Weber Kettle/SnS. I was constantly chasing the temp, going too high, then too low. Ended up with the worst turkey I’ve ever cooked that was quickly converted to turkey salad.