Kamado Turkey #1, Spatchcock style

A.O.

16 hours ago, A.O. said:

Oh man did this turn out great, started out at 350 degrees and worked up to about 450 to finish.. bird was perfect from center to skin! 

Now you have me all fired up for Thanksgiving! Placed an order with my butcher a couple of days ago for a farm raised 10-12# bird. Can’t wait!

On 11/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, A.O. said:

But it took almost all day to make it!!

Yeah...it does take some time overall, but I find it is one of the "in the background" type things where you can do other things simultaneously.   I'm always happy with the results and gives me more time on turkey day when I have the family/guests around I would rather be with than in the kitchen.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:15 AM, A.O. said:

Taking a break? Why?

Honestly? There are just a million little reasons not to do the turkey in the joe this year, which have snowballed into "im just not going to do it that way this year and i'll use my oven instead"

The main one being, we're doing regular turkey day at my parents, and a smaller one with my wifes family the saturday after (i.e. the day after we get back from being gone for a few days), so i wont have my normal prep time, because i have a nuts week and a half of work leading up to the big day this year, in addition to not being home,

that group that is coming over isnt very discerning, so it sometimes feels like a lot of effort for nothing,

the little one has reached the "running around crazily" stage, so ive had to pare way back until the "don't touch the hot thing" lesson sinks in fully,

there are more, but thats the big three

I'll probably dust her off for a proper cook or four around christmas, do a prime rib, do a turkey, do a pair of chuckies

1 hour ago, jark87 said:

@A.O. at what point did you increase the heat? I’m assuming you made the adjustment once the internal temp reached a target. Crispy skin on a turkey is like catching a leprechaun for me.

I'd be lying if I said it/I was that technical!  I started bumping the heat about 30-45 minutes in, it was a very windy day and took a while to get the cooker to temp and stabilized so I was kind of running behind. Mostly "feel" for whatever that's worth. I/it was running late, I popped the KJ open had a look and determined it need more heat so I opened it up. Up to 425 ish maybe a hair more... Now come to think about this, I also put my thermometer in at that time and it was at 103, I remember that cause I was trying to 'splain to the wife how far along it was.

It could not have turned out better... hope this all helps!

^^^ just wrote that down in my notes, thanks for helping me remember that detail!

Thought about deleting the above post and giving you that number so I looked better, but why? I got lucky and it worked.. chalk it up to experience! :-D

On 11/7/2021 at 2:27 AM, A.O. said:

Oh man did this turn out great, started out at 350 degrees and worked up to about 450 to finish.. bird was perfect from center to skin! IMG_6511.thumb.JPG.1192d3cef63538450f7dbb100f56afba.JPG

IMG_6512.thumb.JPG.a3b1beadf2800012ffb9d9300cca1c44.JPG

IMG_6513.thumb.JPG.049da1a15c51aed9d4247dfe58a1aefa.JPG

Served with that wonderfull gravy and some home made applesauce!

It looks fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, jark87 said:

@A.O. at what point did you increase the heat? I’m assuming you made the adjustment once the internal temp reached a target. Crispy skin on a turkey is like catching a leprechaun for me.

Everyone like to have set in stone number and methods, but as @A.O. points out, it's just not that technical. If you are getting close (within 15 minutes or so) to doneness (however you measure that- feel, sight, temp, etc) you simply open the vents so that the skin is exposed to higher temps to render out its fat. An even quicker method (without raising temps) that I sometimes use, would be to pull one of the deflectors out (OR stack them within the grill as I do) and expose the bird to a little direct heat. Rotate it after a few minutes for even tanning and viola!

So I have my thanksgiving bird thawing right now in the fridge, Monday I look to cut it up (Spatchcock it) and try to make that wonderful gravy again. I'm playing taxi Tuesday and Wednesday collecting my kids from the airport so I wont have a lot of time to sit around and cook. Wednesday I'll put it in the Brine so its ready to go on Thanksgiving , so once again wish me luck, I just hope it goes as good as the first time!

I pick my bird up on Tuesday. I’ll spatchcock it and put it in the buttermilk brine that day, as I’m shooting for at least 36 hours. It’s supposed to rain here on Thanksgiving. We’re having our outdoor kitchen rebuilt with a cover, but it’s still under construction, so I may be cooking in the rain. I have a patio umbrella I can put up. :unsure:

45 minutes ago, Boater said:

Good luck! Looks like you have some options, hope the weather person is a pessimist and you don't need any of them.

Ah, that was jark up there thats going to get rain on thanksgiving, supposed to be low 60s and partly sunny here.. good cooking weather.