Revisiting a chimney for my KJC

A.O.

I have a KJ Classic and love it, the only real problem I have with it is sometimes when I open it up while cooking the daisy wheel closes! So I once again am wondering about the KJ Kontrol Tower or various aftermarket jobs that are out there. 

I read good and bad on the various tops and one thing I was wondering is with the Kontrol Tower, or the Smokeware one or others, I was reading that they dont swing all the way open so you cant get the heat way up.. do you find this to be the case or no?

Rain getting inside is not a bother to me as I have a couple ways to cover the cooker while cooking in the rain.

My thing is the top closing, yesterday I was cooking a turkey I opened the lid to put my thermometer in the bird. The cooker was at about 430 at the time.. came back a little later and the temp was down to just below 400 and I noticed the vent was closed, thankfully the cooker stays hot a long time so it didn't effect the cook.. but if I had waited longer who knows. THIS is why I'm thinking about this again..  

What do you have and what do you think about it? Thanks

@A.O. I used to have that problem with my KJ. I saw a suggestion somewhere on here is to change the direction of the daisy wheel so that it will not open fully, or close when opening the grill. It took a little bit of experimentation, but here is how my daisy wheel is set so that it stays where I have it when I open the grill.

IMG_20211107_090706039.thumb.jpg.dd89b5ef557cc652606fd54693685954.jpg

7 minutes ago, jark87 said:

If you do consider the Kontrol Tower, any rumors about it not swinging all the way open are not true. I often open mine up all the way for searing or just a quick burn-off cleaning.

image.thumb.jpeg.73e425213c415152eee81162bd033aef.jpeg

Overall, how do you like the control tower?

4 minutes ago, A.O. said:

Overall, how do you like the control tower?

It works great for me, but I don’t have any exposure to any other vent, so I can’t compare. Settings are pretty easy to remember with the marks on the tower. I’ve gotten pretty good at finding the right combo between bottom and top vents for 250°, 350°, and 450°. I’ve recently started opening the bottom up a little more for better airflow and a cleaner burn.

Just picked up the Smokewares top from @PHEAD and the top is two pieces that separate (easily, if clean).  I just take the top cap off when I first close the lid, put it back on after temps get toward operating range. 

The only down side I could see is that you don't have a setting where the cap is half-on like you can with the daisy wheel, but there's PLENTY of air flow possible through the 3 vent openings so I don't see where that would be an issue for me. And it is easier for me to visually see how much I'm restricting air flow with that cap vs the daisy wheel, dealing with 3 triangular holes (when necked down) rather than 6 football-shaped ones on the original. 

On my BJI, there was a suggestion to use a lock washer and that helped tremendously with the swinging open, in addition to what @Golf Griller suggested. I do get a lot of swinging on the Kontrol Tower as well as movement from the gasket needing to be replaced. I guess I've gotten lazier because I just tend to work around it now.

25 minutes ago, len440 said:

The kontrol tower may get gunked up and not swing open after a while . The fix is complicated I just remove the top part. Done this for cleaning and when starting the fire.  

My original "daisey wheel" set up does the same..