Neck roast anyone??

A.O.

So when I took one of my deer into the processer last year I was talked into a neck roast, a couple people collaborated and said they were good. So Saturday I'm going to give one a try while watching my Sooners win.

Anyone ever try one of these?? And if so, any pointers? If not I'll probably Just do a low and slow brisket/butt style.. 

2 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

I've never even heard of a "neck roast."  Send pictures!  "Low and slow" will probably turn out just fine – tell us how it goes!

I had never heard of it either, and we will see how it goes.

3 hours ago, A.O. said:

So when I took one of my deer into the processer last year I was talked into a neck roast, a couple people collaborated and said they were good. So Saturday I'm going to give one a try while watching my Sooners win.

Anyone ever try one of these?? And if so, any pointers? If not I'll probably Just do a low and slow brisket/butt style.. 

Any prevalence of CWD in your area?

Meateater has a whole page of neck roast recipes on their site, anything I've ever cooked from his cookbook has been excellent.

5 minutes ago, KamadoChris said:

Any prevalence of CWD in your area?

Meateater has a whole page of neck roast recipes on their site, anything I've ever cooked from his cookbook has been excellent.

No on the Chronic Wasting Disease (in case some readers do not know what CWD is).

I will look into Meateaters recipes, thanks.

4 minutes ago, A.O. said:

So I went looking on Meateater, the only recipes he has are in a crockpot full of liquid... I'm feeding this guy to my Kamado Joe

A.O., How about doing it in the Joe in a Dutch oven with the lid off for part of the cook, or sometimes I'll smoke a chuck roast before committing it to the Dutch oven in the kitchen for pot roast. The Joe is basically an oven, and with Dutch oven it becomes an improved crock pot. 

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be fantastic.

58 minutes ago, A.O. said:

So I went looking on Meateater, the only recipes he has are in a crockpot full of liquid... I'm feeding this guy to my Kamado Joe

I agree with the comment above, Dutch oven in the kamado in place of a slow cooker.  I haven't cooked a full neck but I love venison shanks, and that is exactly how I do them, uncovered for a couple hours then cover and let them go until fork tender.  My .02 cents you are going to want a long and slow braise in liquid.  The neck is going to be tough like the shanks, and you want to capture all that cartilage, collagen and sinew that melts down so it will make the best sauce you have ever poured over anything, or just ladled straight into your mouth.

Alrighty how about this.. I will sear it in a cast iron pan first, then out to Joe for 4-5 hours of hot (300-350) smoking, then finish inside in a traditional crockpot for a couple to several hours. As far as liquid in the crock pot, I'm not sure. normally when I do this kind of cook its a pork roast that I'm making pulled pork with and when it gets to the crock pot I just add BBQ sauce, but obviously not enough to cover it.. I dont keep gallons of that on hand.

I have one cast iron dutch oven, not sure it is big enough for this roast, besides I want to get that smoky flavor in it.

Sounds like it should work.  I would stick closer to the 275-300 but that's just me, it will need lots of time to tenderize.  Beef stock and wine deglazings of the pan is what I would suggest for the liquid.  You can thicken up the liquid after to your liking.  I'm excited to see the end product!

I did some research and have the roast in the brine in the fridge. I plan to smoke it tomorrow, so then tomorrow night or Friday I can move to stage 2 in the crock pot. Later I can take the neck apart and see which way things go.

1 minute ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Has no one ever heard of "neck bones and gravy"?  Thought it was a southern delicacy.  Or perhaps a "redneck"delicacy.:rofl:

And that could be.. and I'm pretty far south so....