Well rats!!

A.O.

So I have a cook I'm doing today , a deer neck roast, and I had ordered the Kontrol Tower top for my KJC1, It got here yesterday which I was glad to see but it DOESN'T FIT!! It seems loose as a goose on top, no snugness what so ever. My KJC is only 6-7 months old so I cant imagine the gasket is wore out but regardless it doesnt fit!! Not sure at this point as to what to do... order a new gasket or send the Tower back.. so dissapointed!

Found the same issue with the Smokewares top - it's a bit loose on my almost-new (KJ C1) grill.  I went ahead and used it, and found there actually was little to no leakage around the top.  Was going to add gasket wrap, decided it wasn't needed (for now).

35 minutes ago, Boater said:

Found the same issue with the Smokewares top - it's a bit loose on my almost-new (KJ C1) grill.  I went ahead and used it, and found there actually was little to no leakage around the top.  Was going to add gasket wrap, decided it wasn't needed (for now).

This guy is loose enough I'm afraid if I open the lid it might just fall off! I just spoke with a girl at the " BBQ Guys" where I bought it, she said I might want to talk with someone at Kamado Joe and see what they have to say.. maybe a warrantee issue or something. She also issued me a refund on the Tower but said no need to return it (Kudos to the BBQ Guys) so I may order another gasket and give it a try.. Everything says it should fit my cooker though so who knows.

1 hour ago, Boater said:

This guy is loose enough I'm afraid if I open the lid it might just fall off! I just spoke with a girl at the " BBQ Guys" where I bought it, she said I might want to talk with someone at Kamado Joe and see what they have to say.. maybe a warrantee issue or something. She also issued me a refund on the Tower but said no need to return it (Kudos to the BBQ Guys) so I may order another gasket and give it a try.. Everything says it should fit my cooker though so who knows.

1 hour ago, prowe said:

I think I have heard that folks replacing the top vent with the k t sometimes need to add some felt gasket material to make it fit.  I could be mistaken.

Everything says its supposed to fit this cooker... without alterations??

3 hours ago, A.O. said:

she said I might want to talk with someone at Kamado Joe and see what they have to say.. maybe a warrantee issue or something

I've had really good experience with their warranty service folk.  Best of luck there.

As for the top falling off, my top don't raise past vertical, or it would be in danger of that.  I've pulled the top half off just taking off the grill cover too fast!

17 hours ago, AJS390 said:

I'm sure it's just a difference in the gasket material.  On the 2's, the top gasket that's meant for the Kontrol Tower is fiberglass.  I'm guessing it's just a little thicker.

20211111_153624.jpg

Then why does the product advertising say it will fit?? As it clearly does not!

Direct from the Kamado Joe website:

The Kontrol Tower Top Vent is a patented, cast aluminum top vent that maintains precise airflow for consistent temperatures. Open the vent all the way to grill steaks and chops at high temperatures, or dial it back to cook low and slow. This top vent fits all Kamado Joe® Classic Joe and Big Joe grills.

• Does not lose its setting when the grill lid is lifted
  • Fits all Kamado Joe® Classic Joe and Big Joe grills
  • Does not fit the Kamado Joe® Joe Jr grill

23 hours ago, A.O. said:

Everything says its supposed to fit this cooker... without alterations??

I'm sorry if you feel I misled you. Perhaps you could send the kontrol tower back for a refund and I will not charge you my typical advisement fee for suggesting you purchase one. I for one am happy with the tower and there are other folks who have added some gasket material to make it work. If that's not your thing...send it back. If it keeps falling off it could cause significant damage so cut your losses.

12 minutes ago, prowe said:

I'm sorry if you feel I misled you. Perhaps you could send the kontrol tower back for a refund and I will not charge you my typical advisement fee for suggesting you purchase one. I for one am happy with the tower and there are other folks who have added some gasket material to make it work. If that's not your thing...send it back. If it keeps falling off it could cause significant damage so cut your losses.

I was not thinking you misled me at all, in fact you are the one that said others added some extra gasket material. I Think Kamado Joe misled me by stating that it would fit my Classic.

And BBQ Guys already issued me a full refund. Also they did not want me to return it so If I do try to make it work and it falls off and breaks, I'm out nothing!

Mines been loose from day one and no problems with it. If you don't keep it super clean the top won't pivot open like the daisy wheel on the  cast one does but I just pull the top off and use it that way. But my gasket is thicker than the one in the picture.