Ribbon Tian On My Mandoline's 21st Anniversary

Jack.

About 10 years ago, I sliced my thumb pretty badly while cutting French Fries on my Bron mandoline.  The injury was my fault, and I put the mandoline away in a corner of the garage (largely because it was too expensive to throw away) and forgot about it-until two weeks ago when I found it while cleaning out the garage.  I've been thinking about using it again ever since I rediscovered it.

Yesterday, Nov. 13, 2021, after buying a pair of cut-resistant gloves and swearing to use the food pusher and be VERY careful, I decided to give it a go again.

When I opened the box, I found the original sales receipt dated November 13, 2000, thus making yesterday's cook, coincidentally, the 21st anniversary of my first use of this excellent and dangerous piece of equipment.

I made a tian of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and sweet onion cut in uniform 1/4" ribbons on the mandoline, with Roma tomatoes which I cut by hand.

The tian is seasoned with Herbes de Provence, garlic, EVOO, salt and capers, baked covered @ 400* for about 90 minutes, then lightly topped with shredded Parmesan which melts just from the heat of the vegetables.

The dish was delicious, and all 10 digits are intact and uninjured.  I'll rebuild my confidence with the mandoline now, and put it to good use after its long rest.

Thanks for Looking and Happy Cooking.

p.s.  Despite several attempts, I cannot get the photos to appear in the chronology I want.  I'm sorry they are out of order.

m1.jpg

m9.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m20.jpg

m16.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

Thank you @dh14ster.  Yup, The cut that resulted in my thumb tip ending up in the sliced potatoes happened when I'd had a couple of pre-dinner drinks while preparing the food.

Just about everyone I know who uses or has used a mandoline has injured themselves.  A while back, @keeperovdeflamecut himself pretty badly and posted the story here on KG.  This led to @DerHusker, Keeper and me referring to ourselves as the Tres Stupidos de Mandoline.:roll:

I've spoken with a couple of ER Docs I know and they confirm that one of the most common, serious kitchen injuries that lands people in the ER is a mandoline cut.

The cut-resistant gloves helped with my confidence level.  The SS Bron food pusher is a PIA to use and limits the size of the item to be sliced. I bought a larger, plastic one that is more versatile, and helps when the food has been cut down to a level where my hand is closer to the blade that I feel comfortable with.

Back on the horse!

2 hours ago, Jack. said:

Just about everyone I know who uses or has used a mandoline has injured themselves. 

Thank you for talking me out of buying yet another useful kitchen tool :). Had been thinking about one for a while for pickles, especially.  But think I'll stay with a knife for now.  Not doing _that_ many pickles..

On 11/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, Boater said:

Thank you for talking me out of buying yet another useful kitchen tool :). Had been thinking about one for a while for pickles, especially.  But think I'll stay with a knife for now.  Not doing _that_ many pickles..

@Boater, for smaller items like pickles, cucumber, zucchini, and especially garlic cloves, I use this little gem--a Dash "Safe" mandoline.  It really is safe in that the blade operates on a spring-loaded plunger and the food is fed to the blade through an enclosed chute.  Thus it really is impossible to cut yourself unless you stick your finger all the way down to the bottom of the chute while pushing down on the plunger with the other hand.

It slices from very thin to about 3/16" and juliennes to adjustable matchstick.

On the thinnest slicing setting, it slices garlic so thin you can see through it and it practically melts into your prep when heated.

About $50 online.  QVC has it in a variety of colors for the same price marketed under his name by Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian.

I use mine a lot, especially for garlic.

z4.jpg

z2.jpg

z3.jpg