What’s Your GoTo Turkey Leftover?

mike echo

My wife still is stuck on an Oven Stuffed Turkey in a roasting pan a-la 50 or more years ago style.

I’m still KJing turkey to try and get her to give in a bit. 

Made a pretty good one yesterday but her first remark was “this isn’t smoked is it?.

So I have a lot of excellent meat available for leftovers.

Looking for ideas for the leftover meat.

2 hours ago, mike echo said:

but her first remark was “this isn’t smoked is it?.

So she didn’t like it?

We don’t often have turkey leftovers, but last year I was cooking on my Kettle/SnS (before KJ) and wasn’t patient enough to let the temp stabilize. I ended up chasing the temp up and down and dried out the bird. Worst turkey I’ve ever cooked. It was turned into turkey salad that actually tasted pretty good. Mayo and a 50/50 blend of Cholula original and Cholula green. Ingredients were added as I tasted, so I don’t have any measurements, but I’ll definitely try it again if I end up with leftovers.

Got to say, mine is the simple turkey sandwich. Fresh baked sourdough toasted, both dark and white meat, a little stuffing, a little gravy mixed with mayo, kosher salt, and cracked pepper,  topped with cranberry sauce. And of course you need the obligatory side of cold green been casserole. With a cold West Coast IPA, and a good college football game, their ain't much better. I also make turkey enchiladas with roasted Hatch chilis, caramelized onions, and a blend of Mexican cheeses.  

4 hours ago, mike echo said:

Made a pretty good one yesterday but her first remark was “this isn’t smoked is it?.

I think our wives went to the same school.  My wife thinks turkey cooked on a kamado tastes like ham, and nothing I have said or done has been able to budge her from this unsupportable position.  Ah well, more for me.

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I also make turkey enchiladas with roasted Hatch chilis, caramelized onions, and a blend of Mexican cheeses.  

Now there's a cook I'd like to see posted with lots of photos.  Maybe after this Thanksgiving?

Growing up, there was a pretty standard chronology for leftover turkey.  Sometimes one or two steps got skipped if there was not enough leftovers, but first and last dishes were always present.

Roast turkey for the holiday meal.

Turkey sandwiches with cranberry dressing.

Turkey a la King (something like this recipe, over toast https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/42890/turkey-a-la-king

Turkey carcass gumbo.  So nothing left but the boiled bones.

Somehow, never grew tired of the routine.

Half the reason we even make turkey is so my wife can have turkey sandwiches.  She doesn't even care if she gets turkey dinner.

Must be on plain white bread with a ton of mayo and black pepper.  Woe on to anyone that tells here there is any other way...