Summit grate cooking options

smittydog27

I currently have 3 dedicated Weber performers (one in Vortex mode, one in SNS mode and one in rotisserie mode.  Also have large BGE in challenger table.   I’m looking to add a Weber Summit Kamado but have a question about possible replacement cooking grids.  I LOVE the BGE eggspander 5 piece set in my BGE.  I would love to add the XL version to a new Weber Summit.  Does anyone currently run this set up?  I know you can use XL CGS Woo adjustable system, but I really like the BGE eggspander set up.  (Meaning that all my lodge cast iron would also fit between the levels of the grate system.)

Thanks,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 11:24 AM, smittydog27 said:

I currently have 3 dedicated Weber performers (one in Vortex mode, one in SNS mode and one in rotisserie mode.  Also have large BGE in challenger table.   I’m looking to add a Weber Summit Kamado but have a question about possible replacement cooking grids.  I LOVE the BGE eggspander 5 piece set in my BGE.  I would love to add the XL version to a new Weber Summit.  Does anyone currently run this set up?  I know you can use XL CGS Woo adjustable system, but I really like the BGE eggspander set up.  (Meaning that all my lodge cast iron would also fit between the levels of the grate system.)

Thanks,

Steve

On 11/16/2021 at 1:18 AM, SmallBBQr said:

I follow numerous forums/facebook etc for the Summit Kamado, and have not seen anyone mention the BGE Eggspander being fitted in.  I've seen numerous people add in the Kamado Joe system.  Sorry, nothing helpful to add.

If a KJ system fits then a BGE system should (not sure about height, though)

I've seen people fit the BGE system in Pre DnC KJs 

I think I can get the BGE XL system to work.  The ACE near me will let me test fit.  I got the size dimensions (rough) from BGE.  23 1/4” round for grill rack and 19” for top rack.  But, will buy and try I guess.  Return it if won’t work.  But I was up close and personnel with the XL BGE today, seems to glow fluorescent green when new.  LOL

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Webber_Grills said:

KJ D&C fits just fine (big Joe version)

(the classic sized Sloroller also does, if you close off the charcoal support ring)

IMG_0957.thumb.jpeg.22df54d6aa9413ef61d500f1d4827d39.jpegIMG_0994.thumb.jpeg.6c7e3a82466355bd07c9f6b4258f4d40.jpeg

IMG_1072.thumb.jpeg.63878444e06a9968af845c7928bec6cb.jpegIMG_1077.thumb.jpeg.25d9cdda36692225661c0869dec2adf8.jpegIMG_1074.thumb.jpeg.91c0316fc0a26cd127a6296633212a66.jpegIMG_1075.thumb.jpeg.47d5ccf8a9c2b4f5183a2b98823ea140.jpegIMG_1076.thumb.jpeg.286694078174652dee600918f1771058.jpeg

IMG_1060.jpeg

Ooooh, thats good to know 

I dont suppose you know if a big JT fits a Summit?

On 4/22/2022 at 12:30 AM, Polar Bear said:

Ooooh, thats good to know 

I dont suppose you know if a big JT fits a Summit?

I've heard it needs a slight and simple shave to the inner bottom ring (in the back) but works well post mod.

I don't know if I would call it "slight and simple", but yes, there have been a few people that have modified it to fit.  I think I recall that at the furthest point on the back requiring 3/4" cut off, and this has to gradually taper up both sides towards the front.  So, you will need a cutoff wheel/grinder or high powered dremel tool etc...

There is the "Spit on Fire" rotisserie available that fits it perfectly...but you have to ship from Europe.  In the end, price is likely about the same in the end I recall as the KJ Rotisserie is not too cheap either. 

Alternatively, the 22" Weber Rotisserie actually fits inside the Weber Kamado quite nicely - it just looks a bit weird...the smaller ring size.  You also need the lid from the 22" too and you leave the main lid up.

1 hour ago, SmallBBQr said:

I don't know if I would call it "slight and simple", but yes, there have been a few people that have modified it to fit.  I think I recall that at the furthest point on the back requiring 3/4" cut off, and this has to gradually taper up both sides towards the front.  So, you will need a cutoff wheel/grinder or high powered dremel tool etc...

There is the "Spit of Fire" available that fits it perfectly...but you have to ship from Europe.  In the end, price is likely about the same in the end I recall as the KJ Rotisserie is not too cheap either. 

Alternatively, the 22" Weber Rotisserie actually fits inside the Weber Kamado quite nicely - it just looks a bit weird...the smaller ring size.  You also need the lid from the 22" too and you leave the main lid up.

That is REALLY interesting

I have a 3rd party rotisserie for my Weber 26.75 "mini-ranch kettle" and just tried it out - perfect fit, and plenty of clearance for the 26er lid....

This opens up a lot of possibilities without opening my wallet....IMG_1216.thumb.jpeg.690a57f6f3e537849cb8333ea0a05b5f.jpegIMG_1217.thumb.jpeg.e27882dd1735d25a92688875b99c6b5c.jpegIMG_1218.thumb.jpeg.04f2c0ca795d7de47bd478c52b9637aa.jpeg

Haha....that is AMAZING!!  Good find.   I might have to go find me one of those...but I do not have a lid...though I am sure I could find one used somewhere.

Do you recall the item/purchase location? 

6 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

Haha....that is AMAZING!!  Good find.   I might have to go find me one of those...but I do not have a lid...though I am sure I could find one used somewhere.

I sure do, and it's Canadian too

I picked it up on Etsy, from a guy called SpitFireGrilling

7 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

www.etsy.com/ca/listing/698127277