Doctor's Orders

dh14ster

Doc: At your age, you would benefit from a Mediterranean diet.

Me: Mediterranean, eh? Greece is Aegean, Ionian, but technically Mediterranean. Okay, Doc, I got this, but will need some help.

I enlisted my daughter to help. Upon my request, she made saffron rice, which was great, but not as great as her lemon rice pilaf, which kills it. Greek salad, of course, with the last of our garden tomatoes and peppers of the season. And on the Joe, Himalayan salt block lemon and Greek seasoned grilled swordfish. Complemented by a Sauvignon Blanc from Bordeaux. Definitely some of the best swordfish ever. Thanks, Nik!

office small.jpg

swordfish small.jpg

greek salad small.jpg

saffron rice small.jpg

plate.jpg

The whole eating thing. IMO eat to fuel your body correctly. The topic is widely discussed and is more of an emotional discussion than a clinical one.

Throw in how each person has their own needs/opinions.

I have posted a bunch in the Healthy Lifestyles section. So far so good.

My great revelation….too much sugar in the diet is bad ju-ju.

A few others like aspects of Keto. I used that word to my Doc, He had a blank look,  so I now use Mediterranean Diet.  As they say, the light comes on. The medical professionals are tuned into those words.

Eat well amigo.  Enjoy the great stuff from your daughter.:good:

@mike_echo:  I cling to the admonition that, "if you want to live better and healthier, learn to cook."  Instead of contenting yourself with the freezer-case and its warmed-over remakes of "TV Dinners," learn how to prepare your own meals from original ingredients, and then do it thoughtfully and creatively.

Very quickly, you'll discover that, when you learn to eat better, you naturally eat less.

I vividly remember what was once said by a health-food writer (Dr. Balch) who held both DVM and MD degrees.  (He began as a Kentucky Horse [millionaire ...] vet ...)  First of all, he observed that he learned a great deal more about nutrition in Vet school than he did in Med school.  He also spoke about a horse phenomenon known as "cribbing," in which a horse deprived of nutrients would begin to eat the wood of his own stall.  He opined that the snack-food industry picked up on "cribbing" and called it, "the munchies."  When "people who have just eaten" are "still hungry," it's because their own bodies are instinctively telling them that they are still deficient in [something].  It drives them to "eat something else."

When you actually take an interest in "cooking" and learn how to do it, you'll never go hungry again.  And you'll never run out of ideas of new things to [try to ...] prepare.  Whether it involves a kamado grill or otherwise.

Your friends and relatives will also know the perfect Christmas present:  "another cookbook!" :)

On 11/16/2021 at 7:37 PM, dh14ster said:
Doc: At your age, you would benefit from a Mediterranean diet.
Me: Mediterranean, eh? Greece is Aegean, Ionian, but technically Mediterranean. Okay, Doc, I got this, but will need some help.

I truly love Greek food and all it's variations around the Med. I am thinking you may find this web site helpful, it is a Greek cooking web site and I frequently visit it to get recipes. Every recipe I have tried was great. 

https://www.kalofagas.ca

Kalofagas means "Good Feeder"

Also:

A great Cook Book to check out is "Jerusalem" by Yotham Ottolenghi. Amazing recipes from a Chef with a couple of 4 star restaurants,but at it's core just a collection of  delicious peasant food from the country side Fish, lamb, chicken, and a whole host of veggie dishes. 

21 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I truly love Greek food and all it's variations around the Med. I am thinking you may find this web site helpful, it is a Greek cooking web site and I frequently visit it to get recipes. Every recipe I have tried was great. 

https://www.kalofagas.ca

Kalofagas means "Good Feeder"

Also:

A great Cook Book to check out is "Jerusalem" by Yotham Ottolenghi. Amazing recipes from a Chef with a couple of 4 star restaurants,but at it's core just a collection of  delicious peasant food from the country side Fish, lamb, chicken, and a whole host of veggie dishes. 

Keeper,

Thank you for the tip. I love Greek food too, and have visited Aki Petretzikis' Kitchen (https://akispetretzikis.com/en), but not Kalofagas. I will definitely check it out. Aki is a bit of a showman, but I have found the recipes I have tried to all be pretty manageable and tasty. There is nothing like fresh homemade Tzatziki...

I remembered the Jerusalem book after you mentioned it last year and made a gift of it to myself for Christmas. It is absolutely an amazing resource. I believe I enjoy the recipes as much as the stories that go along with them. 

When I bought my first kamado in spring 2013 after a couple of decades cooking chicken, burgers, and dogs on propane, I just wanted to be able to make my own low and slow barbecue after repeatedly being disappointed by the local barbecue scene. Never did I imagine that we can cook these types of dishes in the kamado as well. Where I live there is not a really good Greek option, so it is fun to be able to have the tools, resources, and willingness to try it on my own.

Cheers,

Dave in the Blue Ridge

On 11/19/2021 at 5:16 AM, dh14ster said:

Keeper,

Where I live there is not a really good Greek option, so it is fun to be able to have the tools, resources, and willingness to try it on my own.

We just got a little Greek Take out place in my small high desert town. Not truly amazing, but solidly good Greek street  food gyros and such. Another good cook book is Kokkari, from Kokkari Greek  Resturant in San Francisco. Actually my single favorite Greek Resturant. They have a huge wood fired rotisserie where they can do multiple whole lambs and goat, along with lamb legs, ribs, chicken and such. In addition their sea food, because of their location, is truly amazing. Their Greek coffee comes in a small copper pot that they make by setting it  in a big tub of hot sand over a burner. Really magical place. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:35 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

We just got a little Greek Take out place in my small high desert town. Not truly amazing, but solidly good Greek street  food gyros and such. Another good cook book is Kokkari, from Kokkari Greek  Resturant in San Francisco. Actually my single favorite Greek Resturant. They have a huge wood fired rotisserie where they can do multiple whole lambs and goat, along with lamb legs, ribs, chicken and such. In addition their sea food, because of their location, is truly amazing. Their Greek coffee comes in a small copper pot that they make by setting it  in a big tub of hot sand over a burner. Really magical place. 

Keeper, indeed, as much as I love cooking it at home, there is no substitute for a legit Greek restaurant. In Germany there were at least 3 good options in our city. Our favorite was Taverne Niko. Niko's food was great, and he would come check on all his customers, and have a drink with you along the way. 

niko.jpg

Nikos-Wand-1-768x515 (1).jpg

tables.jpg

16 hours ago, dh14ster said:

Germany there were at least 3 good options in our city. Our favorite was Taverne Niko. Niko's food was great, and he would come check on all his customers, and have a drink with you along the way. 

Yup, it is not only the Cusine but the people and their love for life. Looks like a great place.