Spatchcock Turkey - SloRoller or Deflector Plates?

jark87

This Thanksgiving will be my first with the KJ Classic 3. I wrecked last year’s turkey on the Kettle/SnS - no fault of the equipment. I didn’t let temp stabilize and ended up chasing it up and down the for the entire cook. I’m out to redeem myself this year.

I’ll spatchcock the turkey and when laid out on the grates, its span will extend beyond the circumference of the SloRoller. I have a drip pan that fits the top of the SloRoller perfectly, but the turkey size will reduce the effectiveness. Additionally, I’m wondering how effective the SloRoller will be given that the heat coming out of it will be a bit restricted by the turkey that extends over the edges. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but wanted to get feedback from this group as to whether the deflector plates might be more suited to larger cooks like a spatchcock turkey than the SloRoller.

I have only done one whole turkey. I spatchcocked it over the slo roller with a drip pan, and had no issues with the parts that extended beyond the edge of the slo roller top disk.

This is a Big Joe 3 though, so things are a bit wider.

As far as smoking on the slo roller vs ceramic heat deflectors, I find the difference negligible, and the ceramics are far easier to keep clean.

PXL_20201126_203644869.jpg

I did a practice spatchcocked turkey recently. Probably trying another too late in the game for this Thanksgiving.

I used the method described by Meathead in his book. 

IMO. It was good but not great.

I put my perceptions on the fresh, never frozen turkey I used. I probably could have flavored the turkey better.

Ahhh. Now the debates begin. What does one do? I am going to try different techniques until I find one that I can pass on to the kids much like the recipes that were passed onto me.

I will say, recipes/techniques on this forum are pretty darn good.

I like recipes that have actually been made by the cook-not one that someone somehow found and never took time to make themselves. Look at John’s Setzler’s stuff. Very good. Others too.

Funny story.  My buddy dated a girl graduate of a big time culinary school.  At Thanksgiving one year, she talked a big talk and made a poor tasting turkey while he and I stepped out for awhile. What a letdown. Better yet, my buddy later tells me she suffers anorexia.

59 minutes ago, mike echo said:

I used the method described by Meathead in his book. 

IMO. It was good but not great.

I had similar results the last time I tried Meathead’s recipe from the amazingribs website. I love his techniques and science-based explanations, but flavor is lacking with his seasonings, IMO. I like his Memphis Dust rub, but add jalapeño powder to kick it up a notch. He says somewhere on the website that he doesn’t like much spice, so that explains why his seasonings fall a bit short for me.

I’m trying Samin Nosrat’s (Salt Fat Acid Heat author) buttermilk brine recipe this year. I tried the chicken version last week and it was fantastic. I’ll probably use a version of a Chef Tom recipe from All Things BBQ for seasoning, as I like his stuff.

Looking forward to another learning experience and a great Thanksgiving with friends and family!

So educate me please, what is the slow roller supposed to do different?

And I like my spices pretty basic, I  want my turkey to taste like turkey, I'm a little stuck on my famous salt/pepper/garlic rub on most things and while I like heat, jalapenos or whatever, to me turkey isnt a place I want heat... unless its some sort of mexican turkey or something ;-)

On 11/22/2021 at 9:29 AM, A.O. said:

So educate me please, what is the slow roller supposed to do different?

And I like my spices pretty basic, I  want my turkey to taste like turkey, I'm a little stuck on my famous salt/pepper/garlic rub on most things and while I like heat, jalapenos or whatever, to me turkey isnt a place I want heat... unless its some sort of mexican turkey or something ;-)

See video below for SloRoller info. I haven’t experimented enough to determine if there’s a significant difference between that and deflector plates. My original question was due to the size of a spatchcocked turkey. If the airflow generated by the SloRoller is disrupted, does that minimize the effectiveness? I’m planning to use it regardless, as I’m provided overthinking it. It’s just cooking! :lol:

As far as heat/spices go, I agree regarding turkey. My comment above about adding jalapeno powder to Meathead’s Memphis Dust was just a general comment about the lack of flavor in many of his seasonings, IMO. I only use Memphis Dust on pork, not turkey. He has a rub recipe for turkey - Simon and Garfunkel - but I’ve found that one fairly bland, too, at least for my taste. Could be because his rubs usually omit salt because he expects salt to be used separately.