Kamado Turkey #2, Spatchcock style/Thanksgiving

A.O.

Alrighty then, I did a test run on this turkey thing a couple weeks ago, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I have started the main event! The turkey is a little bigger, this one is 14 pounds the last one was 10, both the infamous Butterballs! Today is gravy day, Groovy Gravy right?

I have my roasting pan ready with a little olive oil.

IMG_6573.thumb.JPG.23b3adb34df8cff84f20c9ba7dc88124.JPG

And my aromatics cut up..

IMG_6572.thumb.JPG.28c0fd5dc1ccf26f7cd0871fd9df0a0c.JPG

Got the giblets and such out of the bird, and my new scissors ready to go 

IMG_6574.thumb.JPG.ac76db77346b71c05bc1001d6b38087d.JPG

Got the bird spatchcocked and all the parts into the roasting pan

IMG_6575.thumb.JPG.44f8ce5ac6e5671be89e06b3094e9116.JPG

The bird will go back into the fridge till Wednesday when I'll pull it out and brine it. Meanwhile my roasting pan with all the goodies will go into the oven getting ready for the next step!

Well rats I forgot to take pics of the roasted innards and the gravy! Tried to post a short video I took but it doesnt seem to want to post, sorry.

I also decided to try some homemade smoked Mac and Cheese..

IMG_6576.thumb.JPG.dafe7264a93ff9cd4380c4ed305eb032.JPG

All ready for the Kamado on Thursday, fingers crossed! I think I'll add some crumbled bacon to the top, everything is better with bacon, right?

IMG_6580.thumb.JPG.a5cd3793d33e0e44917bede78bc34f17.JPG

And I had a little extra that I had for lunch today..

IMG_6579.thumb.JPG.2d8ca74ddcbfdb92ae7fb85b40775746.JPG

8 minutes ago, lnarngr said:

That should be fabulous gravy. And the Mac looks great. I see the ingredients butt how about a complete recipe post in the recipe section? 

I am not really good about recipes I'm more into winging it, but on my first try at this there was a you tube video someone posted and I pretty much used that as my guide.

I watched the video for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised to discover it’s by the same guy that I learned Cornell Chicken from! 

I'm picking up my turkey this morning and will spatchcock it and get it into the buttermilk brine. Not sure if I’ll start the gravy today or tomorrow, but I’m itching to get going. Like you, I plan to use the neck, backbone and maybe wing tips instead of whole wings. Rain is no longer in the forecast for Thanksgiving so hopefully I’ll remain dry for the cook.

15 minutes ago, jark87 said:

I watched the video for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised to discover it’s by the same guy that I learned Cornell Chicken from! 

I'm picking up my turkey this morning and will spatchcock it and get it into the buttermilk brine. Not sure if I’ll start the gravy today or tomorrow, but I’m itching to get going. Like you, I plan to use the neck, backbone and maybe wing tips instead of whole wings. Rain is no longer in the forecast for Thanksgiving so hopefully I’ll remain dry for the cook.

Glad your weather is looking up! I used the neck, backbone , all the giblets except the liver, and whatever skin trimmings there were. Did not use any of the wings.

I think my first try at gravy on turkey#1 turned out better.

All done! I love the flavor and while the overall process was long, it was unattended for the most part. The Saran Wrap cover placed directly on top of the gravy is a trick my wife taught me. It prevents a skin from forming on the surface while refrigerated.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

image.thumb.jpeg.0457aeda63872ada1127a984d9c4f659.jpeg

Well it was crazy busy here yesterday so I did not get all the pics I wanted to get, everything turned out stellar though!! Turkey and fixings were fantastic, Both Mac and Cheeses were "pretty good" and a splendid time was had by all!!

I did at least get a couple pics of the turkey... At one point I raised the turkey up on to the expander grill and put the mac and cheese and the stuffing underneath! IMG_6604.thumb.JPG.469a7e88088e54504e7635da81a1c6ab.JPG

IMG_6605.thumb.JPG.03bfaeaea7ce48f34dcc6a0b1320d13c.JPG

IMG_6606.thumb.JPG.d9d2bee7a3bf5b98e3bfd9db7ddd9343.JPG

That turkey looks great and probably tasted even better! Like you, I got busy (and the wine started flowing) and I didn’t get the pics I wanted. The only picture of the turkey I got was after seasoning, as guests showed up not much later. Everything turned out great, except for the Cowboys game. :angry:

I love that buttermilk brine. It’s now my go-to for poultry, assuming I actually plan in advance.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f46f8def9f426c351389ea19d5cdf5b.jpeg

So if you guys are interested, I used the accidental method of cooking this turkey I learned in Spatchcock turkey # 1.

Started the cook at about 275 degrees, in about 2 hours the breast meat was 124 degrees the outside of the turkey (skin) was kind of a grey color, bumped the temp up to 425 for the reminder of the cook till the breast meat registered at 152 degrees, which gave the exterior that nice brown color. Took it off, tin foiled it and covered it with a double towel layer for about 15 minutes.... Mmmmmm