Aligning Charcoal Basket

Gebo

Just wondering if it makes any difference how you insert the charcoal basket?  Some install it with the bars going north to south and some turn the basket with the bars going east to west.  
I know the air flows north to south from the vent towards the hinge.  
I don’t have a lot to think about this morning, do I?

Edited by Gebo

With both the KAB and the KJ basket, if you're doing a rotisserie, it would seem you'd need the E-W orientation if you use the divider in the basket.  Due to that one of many possible cooking methods, mine stays E-W.  Don't think it makes any diff beyond that - at least not as much as charcoal distribution, use of deflectors in various locations, or several other factors.  

And whichever you're using, it will be more air flow than you'd get with the original cast iron plate.

Mrs. Boater accuses me of being OCD because of just this kind of random thought.  I like it :-D

I just turned mine east to west before I did my 600 degree burn off from the last few cooks.   It "kills" me that my bottom ceramic ring is repaired but not "perfect" and my charcoal basket has a slight tilt in it. It won't sit flat.  Does yours?

I looked at my basket and found it sat East to West, though, I never thought about its orientation consciously. I am thinking, after intense scientific inquiry, most people set it East to West because that puts a handle in both your right and left hands with your arms out straight. My advise is "don't sweat the small stuff" and cook a lot. With heat things move and sometimes warp. No biggy. My first kick ash basket was made of slimmer rods than what they use now,  and  eventually it looked like a bunch of S's welded together. Still held charcoal just fine. As Tin Cup said "Perfection is unattainable". Probably a good quote for both golf and BBQ, and life in general for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, jtemple said:

What happens if I orient it East to West, and then turn my grill? :)

I believe that would start a world ending catastrophic event and either the Rock or Bruce Willis would have to jump in to save us all. Actually, I am pretty sure about that :rofl: