Fiberglass/mesh gasket for S-Series

carminoz07

I've been searching the forums to find an answer but haven't been able to.

Has anyone installed a fiberglass mesh gasket on the Vision S-Series? My felt of 3 years needs to be replaced and am wondering if there is one that will fit. I know KJ makes them for the classic 2 and 3... but there is a lot of talk about the hood locking clamp that applies the downward pressure needed to get a good seal. Any input is greatly appreciated. 

:welcome: carminoz07.  Without some pretty serious (and maybe ultimately unsuccessful) adjustments, I don't think the KJ fiberglass mesh gaskets will work on a Vision.  Even if they will, I'd guess you'd use the gasket only on the bottom instead of both top and bottom surfaces.  Even then, it may be too thick without the compression the clamp provides, or maybe too wide or too narrow for the rim surface of the Vision.

If you're looking to replace the OEM Vision gaskets with something more upmarket, I suggest Nomex Gold Standard from HighQ. It can be ordered to your specific model, both thickness and width, is easy to install, does a great job and lasts a very long time.  I've had excellent results with it on my Vision, my Primo, and on my KJ Jr. 

p.s. I have no affiliation with HighQ or Nomex Gold.

5 hours ago, Jack. said:

:welcome: carminoz07.  Without some pretty serious (and maybe ultimately unsuccessful) adjustments, I don't think the KJ fiberglass mesh gaskets will work on a Vision.  Even if they will, I'd guess you'd use the gasket only on the bottom instead of both top and bottom surfaces.  Even then, it may be too thick without the compression the clamp provides, or maybe too wide or too narrow for the rim surface of the Vision.

If you're looking to replace the OEM Vision gaskets with something more upmarket, I suggest Nomex Gold Standard from HighQ. It can be ordered to your specific model, both thickness and width, is easy to install, does a great job and lasts a very long time.  I've had excellent results with it on my Vision, my Primo, and on my KJ Jr. 

p.s. I have no affiliation with HighQ or Nomex Gold.

Thanks Jack. I appreciate the reply. I have read about the Nomex briefly so I will dive a little deeper. Looking forward to it!

2 minutes ago, carminoz07 said:

Thanks Jack. I appreciate the reply. I have read about the Nomex briefly so I will dive a little deeper. Looking forward to it!

One further note: I've always used the Gold Standard that comes with the pre-applied adhesive.  Never any problems with adhesion and no mess/curing time that can come with adhesives that you must apply by hand.  Just make sure your surfaces are clean before application. 

31 minutes ago, Jack. said:

One further note: I've always used the Gold Standard that comes with the pre-applied adhesive.  Never any problems with adhesion and no mess/curing time that can come with adhesives that you must apply by hand.  Just make sure your surfaces are clean before application. 

Sorry, is Gold Standard a name brand that you purchase separately? Or is Nomex's pre-applied adhesive what you use?

Edit: nevermind. I re-read your original reply. Lol thanks again.

Edited by carminoz07

https://www.high-que.com/Gold-Standard-High-Heat-Gasket-with-Adhesive-for-Kamado-Joe-Classic-with-Kevlar-and-Nomex_p_33.html

There is a wire mesh gasket with self adhesive on the back made to fit Kamado Joes on Amazon by a company called KaMaster that seems to have high reviews.