Fireboard 2 Pro Probe Question

Gebo

Fist of all, my FB Pro should be delivered today as I have had too much trouble with the probes on my iKamand.  Probably operator error.  IDK???

Anyways, off all things I was on YouTube and saw an owner of the FB 2 Pro warning about how he has had some problems with the probes not

working and got one  replaced under warranty.  Then another one went out and he was barely out of warranty period but convinced FB to replace

that one as well.  They are $35 each.

How have yalls probes held up?  Is that YouTuber's experience with the FB 2 Pro just and anomaly?

I have the original fireboard.  I have the Fireboard 2 drive.  I have the Fireboard 2 Pro.  I haven't had a probe failure on any of them.  I do take care of my probes though.  I keep them clean and I don't let them get wet.  I have a LOT of cooks on all three of those devices.  

For what it's worth, I would not expect the probes to last forever.  If I had to replace a probe occasionally, I would still be happy with it.  Since you bought the PRO, you can use anyone's k-couple probes.  You don't have to buy the ones that Fireboard sells.  That's one of the advantages of having the PRO.  If you want a probe that can handle 1000 degrees, you can get one.

Totally different product, but I had repeated probe failures on my PitMaster IQ120 probes until I sealed up the joint where the cable met the probe with high temp silicon.

Sealing up the new ones before use, I never had another failure.   After a good drying out in the oven, I also found the old ones started working again. I resealed the old ones and now I have never had another failure on those either.

I think what was causing the problem was I was using the probe (hanging from the top vent) so condensation could drip down the cable and collect on the connector location which is apparently not 100% waterproof under hours of being exposed to drippings. 

My only probe that failed was my own fault. I had an extension cord out and my fireboard plugged into it. The cord and fireboard plug were separated just a hair, just wide enough for the probe to slip into when I dropped it on the ground.

It shorted out and melted the wire mesh insulation around the probe. I still used it for months before it finally failed.

So getting them wet can cause issues?  I’m one ignorant coochy mama.  I didn’t know heat could effect the cable portion.  

I am my worst own enemy.  

I figured out not stretch them.  I got the BJ ll and the dome temp probe needs to be about a foot longer in order to fully open the lid if you are attaching to the JJ thermometer. I did figure that out. LOL

Oh, I’m talking about the iKamand ll. 

I’m gonna treat the FB 2 Pro like fine China. 

1 hour ago, Gebo said:

So getting them wet can cause issues?  I’m one ignorant coochy mama.  I didn’t know heat could effect the cable portion.  

Certainly the probes I received with my PitMaster are not 100% waterproof, but different manufacturers may vary I would think.  I actually just received my new Thermoworks Signals/Bellows and the probes are a much better design and IP68 waterproof rated.

2 hours ago, Gebo said:

So getting them wet can cause issues?  I’m one ignorant coochy mama.  I didn’t know heat could effect the cable portion.  The probe range on the ambient probe is -148-1202F while the cable is rated between -148-842F...  It doesn't make a lot of sense but the probe was probably NOT manufactured with grill use in mind where the cable itself would be entering the heat chamber.  

The cables on the Fireboard 2 PRO probes are not rated for as high of a temp as the probes themselves are.... go figure....

I think Thermoworks makes their probes for numerous applications, not just BBQ usage etc.  In some cases, you would likely insert the probe tip into a heated container at much higher temps, but the cable would remain in a cooler external environment....

57 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

But they are rated high enough... there is no reason to use a probe if you have your grill at those temperatures

I know.  Remember, I'm the guy that kept iKamand Probes flowing to SW VA.  Too rough on em I guess.  If a mistake

can be made, you're looking at the guy that lives outside the box.

i have the fireboard 2,

my 2 meat probes and 2 ambient probes going strong for a year and half now. the meat probes have got fairly wet when I wash them off, but Ive never let them get soaked/submerged

i dont let the actual wires hang out over open flame or anything dumb like that, but i havent had a problem with the cables getting too hot when they are left in the dome.