The best wing method?

philpom

This surprised even me and far exceeded what I thought would come off of the Primo.  It produced a robust and satisfying crunchy skin hiding juicy chicken within.  (Haha)

I took some sugar free mango habanero sauce and coated 2 pounds of wing parts.  Then using fine plain bread crumbs from the WinCo bulk bins I put a good coat on each one.  Enough that each piece was dry to the touch.

I preheated the Primo to 350°f setup for indirect and placed the wings on.  Careful to not let them touch.  They cooked for about 25 minutes or internal temperature of 195°f.  I turned them once, I could see the fat coming through and frying the crumbs.

20211203_194243_resized.thumb.jpg.497482e9281f5345d8505d3c2d49bafd.jpg

20211203_184612.thumb.jpg.49826b5b8ff6fd24c6fdb0016f0dd731.jpg

20211204_100352.thumb.jpg.d958ed258655ac51baa5364bf0ffc0d7.jpg

Fresh from the grill the crunch and bite was spot on.  The crispy/crunchy skin held up very well and at no point wanted to fall off.  The only changes I would consider would be a more intense sauce and/or some additions to the bread crumbs like granulated garlic,  cayenne pepper, black pepper etc.

What is your favorite way to grill wings?

They look good. But never breaded for me. They have to be naked (but sauced) with crispy skin.

I go pretty much "classic":

I joint the wings and throw the tips to the dogs.

Then - if I have time, I put them on racks and let them dry out in the fridge overnight. If I have way too much time, I steam them in a multi-tier bamboo steamer and THEN let them dry out in the fridge overnight. This really helps with crispy skin but is a bit of a faff.

Normally though, I just joint them up and put them on the Kamado, indirect at 200-220C. 20 minutes, then turn them over and give them another 20 - 25 minutes depending on how they look.

Then I toss them in a hot 50/50 mixture of good quality salted butter and Frank's Original hot sauce, with some extra habanero hot sauce and fresh ground black pepper thrown in for good measure.

They always come out fabulous and my kids no longer want to order wings in restaurants because they just aren't as good.

IMG_4037.jpeg

@adm, so you only season after the cook?  Not even salt prior?  

Really appreciate the options here and elsewhere. I'm just beginning experimenting with wings, haven't locked in something for the SOP, but wings are on the next shopping list (again) thanks to this thread.

10 hours ago, Boater said:

@adm, so you only season after the cook?  Not even salt prior?  

Really appreciate the options here and elsewhere. I'm just beginning experimenting with wings, haven't locked in something for the SOP, but wings are on the next shopping list (again) thanks to this thread.

Exactly that. I rarely season prior to cooking. I do toss the raw wings in a bowl with a little olive oil first though. Sometimes I will add a little bit of BBQ rub but that's pretty rare.