Smoke leaking around lid

Michael C

First off, have you talked to Weber support about this?   They may have an official response.  But I have seen a couple people report this on other sites and there are usually two responses...

1) A little bit of smoke leak there is not abnormal as that is where the gaskets meet and there is a small gap there.  I actually use that space as a routing location for my temperature probes too.  As you use the grill a few more times, the entire gasket will gunk up a bit and seal more as well.  If the amount of smoke leaking there is still too high or does not seal up...

2) The lid/hinge may not have been aligned carefully upon installation (the back edge might be sitting up a little higher than optimal) - reverse the lid installation instruction steps (IMPORTANT!!!  You need to re-install the hinge safety bolts) and then remount the hinge assembly (loosen and carefully re-tighten the bolts etc) to both the bowl and lid, and make sure to re-seat the lid so it sits tightly when everything is being tightened - there is a little play in the mounting to adjust things a bit.  You can even apply a little extra force on the back edge when tightening.  Make sure you center the lid side to side as well.

Hope that helps...seems to have resolved it everywhere else I have seen this mentioned (Facebook Groups etc).

It's probably important to ensure the gasket at the rear is not damaged in any way, but that amount of smoke seems to looks like the lid and/or bowl are not mounted level/flush so the rear is sitting up too high.  It can be adjusted.

I can take pics of mine if you need a reference or something...

Did they provide you the two safety bolts for the hinge?  It is CRITICAL that you re-install those BEFORE you loosen anything.  There is a lot of force being applied by the springs and loosening things will result in ugly results to you and/your grill!

No the store didn’t provide me with any hardware or safety bolts.  I assume I can download the instructions from the internet.  If you could snap a few pictures that would be awesome!  
I’ll call Webber on Monday and talk to them.  
Today’s cook is working and it’s my first low and slow.  I have both the bottom and top vents closed and it stays at 250, but I am guessing it’s due to the misaligned lid.  
Thank you for all the help SmallBBQr! 

Not a problem....you can get the manual from the Weber site I believe...

Electronically, you can also see them on the BILT app on a mobile device.  But, without the two safety bolts/pins, you can't loosen up the lid bolts....I would talk to Weber service for sure to get their advice.

I would just reverse the assembly instructions from the BILT app or manual until things are apart enough to start over.  When you reassemble and tighten up the bolts on the bowl and lid, make sure the lid is sitting closed naturally and evenly across the entire surface and the lid is centered etc.  Tighten things up slowly, evenly, and not too tight either...you don't need to muscle anything.  I just followed the instructions and took my time and did nothing special otherwise.

Important...when assembling....make sure all the bolt holes line up WITHOUT having to shift things too much before inserting bolts, tightening.  If you have to yank things around to make them fit, or tightening the bolts shifts things around, you will pull things out of alignment and then that creates the leaks.

• 4 months later...

Hello forum!  I just assembled my new Summit Kamado yesterday (upgrading from an Akorn after 7 years) and am trying out my first real cooking session today after burning in yesterday.  I tried to be very careful in assembly to make sure the lid was even on all sides when I installed it (I read this thread and all of your helpful advice prior to assembly).  Still, I am noticing smoke leaks at the back where the temp probe exits the grill (see attached video).  When I closed down the top vent almost all the way near my target temp I also noticed small leaks from the temperature gauge and fan port (using Fireboard 2 Drive with the Fireboard fan).  I am assuming the temp gauge leak will go away after some cooks.

Anything to worry about?  My Akorn has many more smoke leaks but I never have much trouble controlling temperatures on it with a controller.

• 2 weeks later...

The Weber top vents always leak a bit when they are brand new...no worries and it will quickly seal up tight after smoking with it a few times....will soon be nice and airtight.

There is also always a tiny amount a leak if you run a probe across the gasket area...has never been an issue.