Grillgun Purchase

Gebo

i missed out on the kickstarter, and didnt want to pay full price

so when i saw something similar pop up i backed it. Called the RocketFire. I wont have it until January or February though.

but a few people in that thread said they use weed burners lol, so there are definitely cheaper options out there available right now.

I bought one.  Wear glasses or safety goggles when you use it and wear an apron or shirts that you don't mind getting sparks on.  And yea... there is a $30 weed burner from harbor freight that does the same thing but you have to hook it to a 20lb propane cylinder . It's not got a 'cool factor' but it also aint $160.  I like the looks of that RocketFire mentioned above but I dont' think I"m willing to spend that much to have one.  

Even though I have multiple torches and tools at my disposal to light fires, I still use simple fire starters MOST of the time.  I spend less time standing in front of the grill when I use fire starters.

Now that you have a fireboard, you can have the same advantages I have in that arena.  For any cook I'm gonna do at 350f or less, I put one firestarter in, light it, put in the grill racks, set my vents, engage the fireboard, and walk away from the grill.  Its' at temp on its on pretty quiclky.  For temps over 350f, i break the firestarter in two and do the same thing but I light the grill in two places.  This method is the fastest way I have found to get a grill going to wherever you want it to be....

1 hour ago, Gebo said:

John, what do you use to light the fire starters and which cubes do you use?

I light them with just a basic butane lighter usually.  I am still using the Kamado Joe branded paraffin/particle board squares because I have a big stash of them that I haven't used up yet.  

I just use a starter cube for 350 maybe three and break in half and spread around a bit then light with a match. If it's late enough  ( It's 4pm somewhere) have an adult beverage, and let the laws of physics take over. My neighbor uses his wife's crème Brule torch when she's not looking, or he uses a plain Benz-o-matic blow torch. Thousands of ways to light a grill. John has a good point about the glasses and a shirt you don't mind ventilating. My only comment about the grillgun would be I would have some concerns about dragging around an 8 foot hose.

Yeah, y'all are right.  I get frustrated using matches.  I save those for # 2's in my bath room.  Those Bic lighters frustrate me, too.  I guess I'm just an old frustrated snagglewhampus.  

I bought a refillable lighter from Amazon.  Sort of one those small caliber  handgun styles and it lasted just outside my return policy.

I want to pull a trigger and get a flame that I don't have to maneuver around trying to keep it from going out.  Click, click, click, wind blows, 32 degrees, "When are you gonna shut the door? You are letting all the heat out", Click, click, pitiful flame, etc.  LOL  I want a GrillGun for under $49.  Something I could "Yellowstone" anyone who complains about my Kamado Joe smoking/grilling.  Joking.....

The propane torch is a good idea but if I gotta strike a match to light it, I might as well go on and burn my fingers taking the match to the fire starters...

Tis the season to be jolly!

8 hours ago, Gebo said:

John, what do you use to light the fire starters and which cubes do you use?

i light my cubes with a refillable butane micro torch

https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products/Hand-Torches/Trigger-Start/ST2200T

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HWV2FL

I wont buy them from amazon again though, ill find something else.

I also have one of these torches, but i like the micro torch

http://blazerproducts.com/the-big-shot-industrial-torch.html

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@PHEAD harbor freight used to have a knock off of that bernzomatic for $8.. I have had several of those.

not exactly sure what model i have, but its very similar. i think it was around $20 at one of the tool stores, HD or Lowes.

ive gone through several of the micros, i like weaving things with paracord and i use the micro torch to melt the ends, but i like a small/strong/precise flame for that. so the ones i didnt like became bbq tools lol.

i like the cheapo eagle torch, but they break easily. the iroda micro jet was worth the $30 for my uses. would take for ever to light a fire cube though :geek:

I just use one of the bernzomatic torches that works with the 16 oz propane canisters to light my fire starters.  But living where I do there's always this that leaps to mind:

https://www.zippo.com/collections/torch/products/firefast-torch-1?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5OuNBhCRARIsACgaiqXqr5hWVRutEJWj5eIqgonR8k3JrOXspyI5aauDzoVnPTTNWIDBy8MaAkg3EALw_wcB

Always hard to find in stock for some reason, so I've never bought one.  So I don't actually know if it's any good.

21 hours ago, Gebo said:

want to pull a trigger and get a flame that I don't have to maneuver around trying to keep it from going out.  Click, click, click, wind blows, 32 degrees, "When are you gonna shut the door? You are letting all the heat out", Click, click, pitiful flame, etc.  LOL  I want a GrillGun for under $49.  Something I could "Yellowstone" anyone who complains about my Kamado Joe smoking/grilling.  Joking.....

Gebo I've heard those words from my wife also. I told her (only once) that I wanted share the feeling of grilling in the winter. I don't think her reply would be allowed by John. I must confess when I use my weed dragon on the driveway weeds I have thought about lighting the Joe with it. But my common sense and not wanting to drag the 20 lb tank up the deck stairs stops me. Anyways  hope santa brings what you want.  

• 2 weeks later...