Hello from Mississippi

MarkO76

Hello all! I live on the MS Gulf Coast and just purchased my first Kamado grill, it is the Kamado Joe Classic. I've had a lot of experience grilling, but unfortunately a lot of it was on a gas grill, and never on a kamado grill. I plan to spend most of the weekend figuring out the airflow to fuel ratios and just getting used to it in general. I'm planning to smoke a brisket for Christmas with it, so wish me luck lol

1 hour ago, MarkO76 said:

I plan to spend most of the weekend figuring out the airflow to fuel ratios and just getting used to it in general.

As a newb to these myself, it took me a bit to get what I was looking for in some of my cooks.  Don't worry so much about the ratios, just fill up the firebox / basket, and focus on air and temperature.  And remember it's easier to get up to temperature rather than down to temperature.  The grill holds a lot of heat, so if you go over temp (by enough to matter, not just a bit) you'll have a struggle to get it back down.  So ease up to it.  

They're great grills, and my gasser hasn't been out since mine showed up.  

I admire your ambition for doing a long cook like that for Christmas.  Without a temperature control system (thermometers, PID controller plus blower) I'd be really nervous about doing something that long so soon.  Had mine a couple months and haven't gone that long yet. Limitation here is the cook (me), not the cooker.

@MarkO76 Welcome to the Guru. There is a lot of great people here who are willing to help you with your questions. One piece of advice I've seen is from @John Setzler ,I think, has recommended that maybe a pork butt might be a better first long cook because it is more forgiving than a brisket. I'm not trying to discourage you from cooking a brisket, just letting you know what I have seen on here. You might try searching here for discussions on cooking briskets to help you with yout cook.

Here is a good reference to help you get started on your path to kamado cooking:

On 12/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, MarkO76 said:

I plan to spend most of the weekend figuring out the airflow to fuel ratios and just getting used to it in general.

You’ve found the right place full of knowledge! Like you, my KJ purchase earlier this year was my first venture into kamado cooking. I found the video below before I bought the KJ and it really helped shorten the learning curve, especially with dialing in temps with the vents.  Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

How was the brisket? 

We love pics, just sayin. 

Dman and I are also on the Coast so be sure to mention what stores are hooking you up and stuff or holler if you need in person assistance.