Fun cleaning oxidized Bosch mixer paddles

Charcoal Addict

My little helper, (2nd cousin was helping me with Christmas baking). He stuck my aluminum Bosch dough hook & the mixer paddle dock into the dishwasher not realizing that mistake would cause oxidation of the bosh mixer parts.

I had a lot of fun removing the oxidation.  It was a 2 hour process.  I boiled the paddles in a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water.  

I used a combination of vinegar and salt to hand scrub the oxidation from the paddle & the dock.

As you can see from the final photo, I was successful without the use of a commercial aluminum cleaner.  

it wasn’t fun.  It was much cheaper than buying new parts.  It would really suck to have aluminum oxide dust getting into a batch of cookies or a loaf of bread.

The lemon juice & salt was very effective at removing the fine aluminum oxide dust coating the paddles.

EE890EBA-2C8A-4A9A-ADEB-C97D543EB893.jpeg

82B9445A-F957-482A-BFE6-7E60921637C6.jpeg

3A407471-5702-44DF-86C1-F3585A254FE9.jpeg

Thank you for sharing.  My wife did that to my Bosch dough hook as well.   After that incident I got a Pro Dough hook for my Bosch.   It is Stainless Steel dishwasher safe and it doesn’t need dough hook extender because it has built in extender so I can do a single batch of 454 g dough.   My wife now knows not to place drive or original dough hook into dishwasher.  

EDF72232-C59D-4C80-BDC3-7ED726395ECA.jpeg

E23E7E01-E8A9-4F0F-B50F-AFA5C5DC41C0.jpeg

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice

Method worked very well. I included picture show pro dough hook in bowl so you can see how it extends to bottom of bowl.   The other picture is the original dough hook and whip drive after using the cleaning method you described to clean both.  It took work but was very effective at removing oxidation.

I have two bowls for for Bosch Universal plus I can use one to make batch of dough and while I am cleaning bowl and dough my wife uses other bowl with whip drive with cake paddles and bowl scraper to make muffin batter. 

499AAEB1-2B87-436A-9D85-A6C28EC3659F.jpeg

B3D4CC8B-BB1B-4B19-930B-77FD6B9640B7.jpeg

On 12/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

Method worked very well. I included picture show pro dough hook in bowl so you can see how it extends to bottom of bowl.   The other picture is the original dough hook and whip drive after using the cleaning method you described to clean both.  It took work but was very effective at removing oxidation.

I have two bowls for for Bosch Universal plus I can use one to make batch of dough and while I am cleaning bowl and dough my wife uses other bowl with whip drive with cake paddles and bowl scraper to make muffin batter. 

499AAEB1-2B87-436A-9D85-A6C28EC3659F.jpeg

B3D4CC8B-BB1B-4B19-930B-77FD6B9640B7.jpeg

it’s crazy.  I’ve always shook my head at Bosch cutting corners with aluminum parts.  Fixing the tarnish is labour intensive.

You can buy $30 cleaning products.  30 minutes a labour and 2 bucks of lemons & salt works just as well to remove the oxidization.