Christmas Ribs!

lnarngr

52 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

Looks good bet they were tasty.

Absolutely Delicious! 

Mommy is salt averse so I gave it a six hour dry salt-brine, rinsed it off and rubbed with Hardcore Carnivore. 

These were at least as good as the first rack (cooked fresh) after being frozen since September! 

I highly recommend these! 

This is from their purchase from the commissary:

I

Yum, Yum! 

BTW it took a minute to convince the butchers that they even carried this ribs. They tried to say they did not have them but my boss had just gotten some there and I insisted. So, the lady kept digging and came up with them. Apparently, they normally cut them up and repackage them. 

20211226_164734.thumb.jpg.efbb3f9c2291382c13c94f1070527e26.jpg

My advice is to wear out your butchers until they come up with some huge ribs! 

22 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Absolutely Delicious! 

Mommy is salt averse so I gave it a six hour dry salt-brine, rinsed it off and rubbed with Hardcore Carnivore. 

These were at least as good as the first rack (cooked fresh) after being frozen since September! 

I highly recommend these! 

This is from their purchase from the commissary:

I

Yum, Yum! 

BTW it took a minute to convince the butchers that they even carried this ribs. They tried to say they did not have them but my boss had just gotten some there and I insisted. So, the lady kept digging and came up with them. Apparently, they normally cut them up and repackage them. 

My advice is to wear out your butchers until they come up with some huge ribs! 

Interesting. No salt brine on mine and they always come out perfectly- i.e., not too much, not too little.

The confusion is that they are mislabeled of course. Just found out recently from a friend that Costco does the same. In El Paso, I can find plate ribs displayed. Up here, they not only divide them but cut them in half. As you stated, you have to specifically ask for them. They typically have full racks in the back waiting to be cut. BUT, make sure to ask for the pricing also. It SHOULD be less than the price of the cut ribs.

Nice looking ribs there

15 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

Interesting. No salt brine on mine and they always come out perfectly- i.e., not too much, not too little.

The confusion is that they are mislabeled of course. Just found out recently from a friend that Costco does the same. In El Paso, I can find plate ribs displayed. Up here, they not only divide them but cut them in half. As you stated, you have to specifically ask for them. They typically have full racks in the back waiting to be cut. BUT, make sure to ask for the pricing also. It SHOULD be less than the price of the cut ribs.

Nice looking ribs there

Agreed! 

No telling what the Butcher might be calling them, bet the ribs are there! 

The $7.50/# price didn't hurt my feelings! I think that threw them for a bit of a loop once the Butcher at the commissary had to figure what to charge me. 

Thanks! 

I also agree they are a forgiving cook. I have to be careful because of the "particularness" of the Warden. Her previous inmate was/is a stone grill master! Once she said, "I don't like beef ribs" the gauntlet was thrown and the crusade was on. I had to fix some beef ribs she liked and she loves these.

They were obliterated at Christmas dinner, so I know they were good. Only had a single, meager serving for leftovers. 

Full disclosure her sense of taste hasn't entirely returned butt she is salt (WHY!?!) sensitive. 

To quote George '43, "Mission Accomplished"! 

7 hours ago, Boater said:

Well, I don't recall him actually saying those words, though it was the sentiment.  Point being, not really a quote.  Not trying to start something, just saying.  

Kule! 

No worries! 

You are right, he was lambasted for saying it but he didn't say it. 

I had forgotten. 

Oh well, off to slay the Tri-Tiphas dragon! 

She is averse to meat required to be cut across the grain because I am clueless as to how to do it. 

Sam's tri-tip has a diagram! 

:roll:

2 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Oh well, off to slay the Tri-Tiphas dragon! 

She is averse to meat required to be cut across the grain because I am clueless as to how to do it. 

Sam's tri-tip has a diagram! 

:roll:

Good luck on the tri-tip. Mine was delicious and extremely simple.  Did you get from the butcher cut or a pre-rubbed vacuum packed version?

As for myself, my son and I are smoking some corned beef for pastrami tomorrow!

On 12/31/2021 at 8:43 AM, lnarngr said:

Agreed! 

No telling what the Butcher might be calling them, bet the ribs are there! 

The $7.50/# price didn't hurt my feelings! I think that threw them for a bit of a loop once the Butcher at the commissary had to figure what to charge me. 

Thanks! 

I also agree they are a forgiving cook. I have to be careful because of the "particularness" of the Warden. Her previous inmate was/is a stone grill master! Once she said, "I don't like beef ribs" the gauntlet was thrown and the crusade was on. I had to fix some beef ribs she liked and she loves these.

They were obliterated at Christmas dinner, so I know they were good. Only had a single, meager serving for leftovers. 

Full disclosure her sense of taste hasn't entirely returned butt she is salt (WHY!?!) sensitive. 

To quote George '43, "Mission Accomplished"! 

Between Costco and especially RD, I can almost always get them before $6 per. And that's about my ceiling on them, just as $3.79 is my top price for brisket.