Rotisserie Charcoal Setup

Hi - First time poster here, been cooking on my kamado for a few years now and love it.

I have just acquired a new toy for my kamado, the Joetisserie! Very excited to try out some cooks - Picanha, porchetta, and good old fashioned rotisserie chicken all on the list.

But I’m struggling to find out the best way to set the kamado up for cooking with the rotisserie.

Should I cook direct or indirect with the heat deflectors in?

I have seen some videos where the coals are banked to one side with a tile keeping one side of the grill clear of coals.

what are the reasons for this and what setup should I go for?

and does it depend on what I’m cooking?

all advice greatly received!

cheers

sam

Hi 

10 minutes ago, Ben S said:

Welcome.  Stop by and introduce yourself.  

i would suggest you need to experiment with the setup that works for you. 

hi Ben,

good to meet you.

How do you set up your rotisserie cooks? what do you do and why?

thanks

sam

4 minutes ago, Fireman Sam said:

Hi 

hi Ben,

good to meet you.

How do you set up your rotisserie cooks? what do you do and why?

thanks

sam

I don’t use mine much. I have had success banking the lump inter a heat deflector 

Welcome Sam. I have always had luck with banking the coals to the back of my kamado and put some foil in the front to catch the drippings. Here is a thread from about a year ago that has some more insight and a picture from my Thanksgiving 2020 rotisserie cook: 

If you haven't, check out @John Setzler video list.  For chicken, I use one of his methods - the KJ basket with a divider, a piece of apple or other mild wood set adjacent to the coals, but outside the basket.  Direct heat at about 325-350, nothing else in the grill.  

I think it's the one from August 2020 - he has several.

I tried all the methods stated above and use the coals under the bird most often, I've been spinning birds for many many moons never owned a gas grill.  Each one has it's pluses and minuses. My advise would be to try them all and see which one works best for you. With the banked coals there is less chance of a flare up from the grease, with the coals underneath you have to watch the height of the coals under the bird. One good thing about the Kamado is there in not really a wrong way to use it. Except starting with lighter fluid.

I prefer to use a drip pan to catch the drippings (I usually even add some water so nothing scorches/burns) and have the coals off to the sides (24" grill so I can use both sides for coals).  We absolutely LOVE rotisserie chicken, but do not like the flavor imparted by fat dripping and burning on coals.

When we had a gas grill, I did not mind the searing drippings, but no-go with charcoal.