Another newbie...

carlh

Greetings from Hot Springs Village, AR.  Just moved here, having previously living in Medford Oregon for the last 19 years.  My house gift to myself was a Kamado Joe Classic III.  It arrived Monday and I assembled it that day.  Held off doing anything with it today when I did the inaugural cook with an easy venture of grilling a beautiful rib eye steak.  While I've been cooking with charcoal for many years on a Weber kettle, this is my first go with a Kamado style unit.  I must say, that even though it was an easy cook, it went extremely well.  It was my wife's birthday, so I didn't want to experiment with anything new.  After getting the grill temps to 500, I set the racks up for both direct and indirect cooking, seared the steak for 2 minutes on both sides, then moved it to the indirect side with a Meater probe inserted for the final cook time.  The Meater navigated the temps and I pulled it off for the resting period.  And, a perfect medium rare steak was enjoyed by the both of us.  

Rookie mistake was inserting the probe for the searing portion -- yes, I got a warning alarm for the high temps.  Pulled the probe and reinserted once it was finished searing.  Lesson learned there.  Looking forward to trying a reverse sear in a future endeavor.  But, I'm really looking forward to my first "low and slow" cook!

Welcome, glad to have you and your new Joe with us. Sounds like a fine first cook, with a great result.  Good Idea to stick with what you know when cooking for a group or special occasion. More pressure on those kinds of cooks and trying something you're not sure of just adds stress. I cook steaks with  split direct and indirect zones also. Best way to cook steaks, IMO,  especially thicker ones.  I have used the pre sear and the reverse sear method and found the searing a cooler than room temperature steak first and then bringing it to temp gives you a better chance of producing a steak that's edge to edge medium rare with out that brown section.  I am doing an all most 3" thick prime tomahawk rib eye along with a few lobster tails for my wife and I on New Years Eve.  I use a Thermoworks thermapen but have thought about those "Meaters" especially when using a rotisserie, what do you think about them? Happy Cooking, and enjoy your new grill and forum conversation as well. 

15 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I use a Thermoworks thermapen but have thought about those "Meaters" especially when using a rotisserie, what do you think about them?

I've always used an instant read thermapen before, but bought the Meater specifically for rotisserie cooking.  However, using it instead of the pen is a lot easier.  There's no stick and check and stick again episodes trying to get to temp.  With the probe, I just keep an eye on my cell phone app and it tells me approximate time to reach goal temp and temperatures.  As long as the probe is accurate, it's pretty simple.  Judging from the color of my steak, I'd say my probe is pretty close to dead on.  

Your prime and tails sounds delicious!!!

As another kamado newbie this year and fellow Kettle fan, I think you’ll enjoy this site. I know I have. There are great resources here, including several references that will help shorten the learning curve. I found the video below before I found this site and it was a tremendous help, especially with vent settings for dialing in temps and holding them steady for hours - the biggest challenge with the Kettle/SnS and primary reason I joined the Kamado crowd. Hope to see some of your cooks on here soon! Cheers!

7 hours ago, carlh said:

your prime and tails sounds delicious!!!

Yeah, been doing that  for New Years Eve for probably the last 10 years. I buy a bone-in whole prime rib and cut off a four bone chunk for the whole fam's  Christmas dinner and then cut the rest into steaks. Health wise too much meat in a short span, but after all It's Christmas and New Years.  I match it with four little tails from one of those Cost Co six packs.  No desire to join the madness on New Years any more, just a quiet dinner with my wife, a glass or two of old vine zinfandel, maybe watch a streaming show and off to bed. Happy New Year and may God Bless you and yours.