Pizza-Porta VS Kamado Do-Joe

Hi all, 

Just wondering whether anyone has any experience of using the Pizza-Porta accessory compared to the Kamado Do-Joe. I have a Classic ii and typically make a Neapolitan style pizza. I have been using the amazing set up suggestion on the forum but loose a lot of heat when opening the lid to slide my pizza onto the stone, so hoping with a proper attachment might be able to control the temperature a bit better. Would love to get people experience if there is any.

Rav

And you could damage your KJ.  I have experience attempting to make Neapolitan pizzas in my KJ.  It didn’t work out good.  KJ replaced my DoJoeunder warranty and it remains unopened in my garage.  Melted handle and side shelves.  

Get an Ooni or an oven designed to handle 900 degree temps.  You will be very happy. 

DoJoe was a poor purchase for me. I learned the KJ will make regular pizza like a charm.  Not designed for 700+ degree temps.  

John is 100% correct. 

Edited by Gebo

11 hours ago, Gebo said:

DoJoe was a poor purchase for me. I learned the KJ will make regular pizza like a charm.  Not designed for 700+ degree temps.   

If you want Neapolitan Pizza in a KJ, get Ken Forkish's book "Elements of Pizza", He is a dough master and concentrates on things like hydration, yeast amounts, proof time and method. He has made several recipes that will give you a Neapolitan Pizza to home chef temps of 500 to 550.  I cook from his book and make the best pizza I ever have. A lot safer than melting your Do Jo. I like the recipes for Saturday Night Pizza, and 24 to 48 hour Pizza dough. Great Stuff. If you want to cook hotter get a WFO.

16 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

If you want Neapolitan Pizza in a KJ, get Ken Forkish's book "Elements of Pizza", He is a dough master and concentrates on things like hydration, yeast amounts, proof time and method. He has made several recipes that will give you a Neapolitan Pizza to home chef temps of 500 to 550.  I cook from his book and make the best pizza I ever have. A lot safer than melting your Do Jo. I like the recipes for Saturday Night Pizza, and 24 to 48 hour Pizza dough. Great Stuff. If you want to cook hotter get a WFO.

This is true but the Ken Forkish technique for Neapolitain pizza at home is done in an indoor oven with the broiler in play.  It's really difficult to duplicate the process on a kamado.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

This is true but the Ken Forkish technique for Neapolitain pizza at home is done in an indoor oven with the broiler in play.  It's really difficult to duplicate the process on a kamado.

Ooooh, I see a good topic for a @John Setzler video!  Even as a non-pizza person I'd be interested.  

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Yeah true, I cook the pie on my egg at 650 and then hit the top with a torch. Works pretty well. 

Another vote for an Ooni (or similar).

I can and have made pretty good Neapolitan pizza on my Kamado. But it's a pain because the quick cooking times, and the need to open the lid a lot to place, rotate and remove the pizza makes things difficult. And it sure uses a lot of fuel to stay at those temps if you making more than a couple of pizzas (we normally make 10 or so). It can also be dangerous opening the lid at those temps and I have killed more than one (felt) gasket this way.

An Ooni will get to 900F in 20 minutes easily and will stay there without using much fuel. They only cost a couple of hundred bucks and are a good companion to a Kamado for also making things like naan or pitta bread while you do the main dish on the Kamado.

I would recommend the gas fired options though. Although wood is much more traditional, it's just harder to keep feeding the little beast with the right sized firewood and it uses it quite quickly. Gas is clean, easy and it hardly uses any.

If I had an unlimited budget and unlimited space, I’d definitely add a pizza oven. If you are constrained by budget and/or space, but have a Weber Kettle that you keep in the lineup, consider the Only Fire pizza oven. I’ve had mine up to 750° easily, and am sure it could go to higher. It is flat on top and bottom so it stores very easily. I’ve become less and less of a fan of single use devices, mostly due to the clutter they create. I’ve loved the Kettle’s versatility over the years and love my KJ for the same reason. I use the Kettle when cooking multiple dishes, so I plan to keep it, even when our outdoor kitchen with the gasser is finished.

image.thumb.jpeg.10119b13c0e0a186760f86ac5e568ead.jpeg