New to Kamado in FL

flynn

Hey all. I'm happy to find a resource for info specific to Kamado-style cookers, as I am the type who needs to deep dive and learn as much as I can about any hobby I take on.

I was born and raised in Kansas City and spoiled by the barbecue there until I moved away 5 years ago, and now I'm trying to learn to use my new Char-Griller Akorn to try to recreate as best I can the style of barbecue that I grew up on.

The accessories I have currently for it are:

• Char-Griller Smoking Stone
  • Vortex (In)Direct heat cone
  • Instant read thermometer
  • Looftlighter I fire starter

I am planning to get a Thermoworks Signals and a TTT soon for more accurate temps and better heat control, respectively.

The charcoal I'm using is Jealous Devil XL Lump and it has been great so far, but I don't have experience with any of the other brands or types so I may try a few other brands soon. 

I have been trying to get the cast iron grates seasoned like a cast iron pan. I have applied bacon grease, heated to 400°F, held for an hour, and then let cool 3 times so far and it's getting better, but meats are still sticking when raw. 

So far I have made burgers (direct heat), Chicken wings (vortex method with a chunk of cherry over the middle), smoked dry-brined chicken breasts at 225°, and grilled wet-brined chicken breasts over direct heat. Everything has come out great so far but I'm trying to get a few more cooks under my belt to learn the equipment before I step up to a slow-n-low overnight cook like a brisket or pork butt.

Looking forward to learning more about barbecue in general!

IMG_4975.HEIC

Welcome aboard from a Canadian Akorn nut.  

Give Fogo in the light coloured bag a try if you can find some.  Love it for low and slow.  I find the large chunks better for slow burning.

Look forward to seeing your cooks!

Welcome to the Guru. There are a lot of people here who will share their knowledge and help you learn more about kamado cooking. There are some good references that are pinned at the top of the Kamado Cooking and Discovery forum. Here is one of those references that will go a long way to answering a lot of questions:

On 1/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, TKOBBQ said:

Welcome to the Guru there are a lot of great people and information around here.  I had better luck with a controler than the TTT on my Akorn.  

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a TTT because the price is right, but if it doesn't work as well as I'd hope I'll start looking into more advanced methods like a PID.