The Fireboard SPARK

On 1/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, John Setzler said:

I don't believe that's what this says.  It says you can not MONITOR your instant read probe via the app.  I DO believe that it logs instant read temps in the cooking log.  I will have to play with it sometime and see.  

Just out of curiosity, why would you find that useful?

One of my favorite things about the Fireboard app is that I can make notes and take pictures as I go along in the cook to review later. This is very handy for cooks I don't do often such as Thanksgiving turkey, so I can look to see if there's a need for improvements on anything. Logging those probe checks would allow me to look for trends such as maybe I'm checking too early or too late in the cook. It would also log probe tests with things like briskets where I'm really checking for insertion smoothness, but it would log the temps so I could compare that later as well.

Also, having the instant-read logged would make me use the app more, as I could use the Fireboard for smaller cooks like steaks and pork chops. Right now I don't use it for those cooks, as it would be a hassle to put a meat probe in and leave it in a smaller cut of meat. If I could log the instant read probe, I would use the app more for those cooks as well. 

On 1/27/2022 at 3:06 PM, John Setzler said:

@nobius I belive it DOES log instant read temps as you take them... I will get mine out and double check next time I have something running that I can monitor with the SPARK.  I'm fairly confident that it does log those.  

That would be great. If you can, share the log so I can see what it looks like. 

31 minutes ago, nobius said:

That would be great. If you can, share the log so I can see what it looks like. 

Here's the shareable log link: 

https://share.fireboard.io/7F99D3

Here are a couple screen grabs from my phone and from my pc on the host side:

20220129_Chart.jpg

Screenshot_20220129-135312_FireBoard.jpg

Screenshot_20220129-135319_FireBoard.jpg

I'd say this does exactly what you want it to do....

4 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Here's another sample of a live cook I have going today where I'm monitoring with the SPARK....

https://share.fireboard.io/BE98B0

Super helpful thanks! Once last question. If I'm already doing a log with my FB2, will the Spark only work as a remote display or can I also use its probe and instant thermometer as well during the cook and it syncs the data with the other probe info from the FB2 in the same cook?

6 hours ago, nobius said:

Super helpful thanks! Once last question. If I'm already doing a log with my FB2, will the Spark only work as a remote display or can I also use its probe and instant thermometer as well during the cook and it syncs the data with the other probe info from the FB2 in the same cook?

I dont know and, quite honestly, i'm not gonna set that up to try it because i personally can't imagine a scenario where I might even consider trying something as complicated as that.