Experience with Auber controller (SYL-2615)?

Searching the forums, I saw where a few folk have had some experience with Auber temperature control units, but it don't seem to be widely used these days.  I was considering the older (SYL-2615) unit, as Auber has them on clearance now, and $150 seems like a really good deal for a setup.  Granted, there are limitations (2.4 GHz router, no mesh routers, only 1 meat probe), but is there something I'm missing in terms of reliability, longevity, etc.?  The only thing that might be an issue would be the limitation on the router - at some point in the future, the current system will crash and be replaced.  Hopefully this controller would still be working, and I'd have to figure out how to make it work with the new system. 

I know there are others that are highly recommended, I've read @John Setzler's comments and recent reviews.  Just looking for a less expensive, basic, reliable controller.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on the unit or alternatives.

@Boater

This might be the cheapest option out there these days:

https://bbqube.us/BBQube-TempMaster-Portable-Wi-Fi--BBQ-Temperature-Controller-for-Charcoal-Smokers-and-Kamado-Grills_p_53.html

I don't have any experience with it so I can't speak to it's pros and cons.  

But then there's this also that has been around for a long time:

https://pitmasteriq.com/collections/automatic-temperature-control/products/iq110

BBQGuru made a mistake, in my opinion, when they discontinued their Party Q but I'm sure they weren't selling many of htem because they did not have wifi control and everyone believes they need that these days.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I have one and can tell you it works well and is easy to use. Maybe not all the fancy calculations and such you get with other brands. I bought the rechargeable battery they recommend, and that thing lasts a long, long time.  One of the things I like is with the battery, you don't have a tangle of wires running all over the place.

I know JS changed his tag.. "Buy a Temperature Control System for your Kamado.  It's worth the investment." But as alternative POV, Smoking Dad has temperature control devices on his list of least used and unnecessary devices. He thinks ceramic cookers are rock steady on temperature on their own. 

You don't know till you try, live and learn. Probably not the first or last $$ you spend if you don't use it.

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/43184-my-vision-journey/?do=findComment&comment=573511

1 hour ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

But as alternative POV, Smoking Dad has temperature control devices on his list of least used and unnecessary devices. He thinks ceramic cookers are rock steady on temperature on their own. 

I agree with James to some degree but I think James may be limiting his view on this to long low and slow cooks.  I have run tons of long low and slow overnight cooks without temperature controllers.  In MOST of those cases, it ran fine without any issue.  There were a couple occasions where my fire went out and I didn't know it.  There were also a couple cases where my meat got done way sooner than I expected it to and I didn't know it.  James isn't using a control system but he is using the Meater Block for monitoring his pit and meat temps.  The two probe version of that is $229.  For an additional $70-80 on top of that you can have a Fireboard that does all that plus controls the temp of the grill.  

MY primary love for the temperature control system is NOT it's ability to run a pit unattended for a long time.  MY love for the system is how easy it makes it for me to light my grill and bring it to a target temperature (anywhere between 200-500°F in a very short time without any hands on work or multiple tweakings of the vents.  For instance, If I wanna roast a chicken at 400°F, I put an appropriate amount of coal in my grill, add two or possibly three firestarters, put my racks and heat deflectors in place, close the grill, and open the top vent to an appropriate setting, and then engage my fireboard.  I walk away from my grill and, in most cases, I'm ready to cook within 20 minutes wihtout ANY additional visits to or tweaking of the grill.  It does take a minor amount of experience to know where the vents need to be set.  But while you are learning that, you can simply leave the top vent fully open and then go close it down once your grill hits your target temp.  There is just more to it for me than long term overnight temp stability, even though THAT is still a good case for it as well.  

And then there is the argument that you can't use a fireboard with a rotisserie.  This is true.  But you CAN mark my word on this.  There WILL BE a temp control system out there at some point in the very near future that employs a wireless meat probe.  You can bank on that.  

20 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

There WILL BE a temp control system out there at some point in the very near future that employs a wireless meat probe. 

That’s the primary attraction of the Meater, at least for me. I have a Thermoworks Smoke and it does the job, including a remote alert if fire or meat go outside of thresholds, but a wireless version is more attractive. I also like the IT and air temp all on one probe, but I’m not a fan of how thick the probe is. I don’t know if that’s due to the technology.

If the Fireboard was wireless, it would jump to the top of my list, if priced reasonably. I like that the controller is an option, so if you don’t want it, you don’t have to pay for it.

34 minutes ago, jark87 said:

That’s the primary attraction of the Meater, at least for me. I have a Thermoworks Smoke and it does the job, including a remote alert if fire or meat go outside of thresholds, but a wireless version is more attractive. I also like the IT and air temp all on one probe, but I’m not a fan of how thick the probe is. I don’t know if that’s due to the technology.

If the Fireboard was wireless, it would jump to the top of my list, if priced reasonably. I like that the controller is an option, so if you don’t want it, you don’t have to pay for it.

Yea I can understand that.  The wireless for me just has no place here.  It's too easy for me to stop the rotisserie and take a temp reading.  I can't let myself justify the cost of the Meater to not have to do that.  That's an expensive solution to a very minor problem.

53 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

It's too easy for me to stop the rotisserie and take a temp reading.

Totally agree, although I’d use a wireless probe for some rotisserie cooks if I had one. I'd just prefer wireless over wired for convenience - even for normal, non-rotisserie cooks. I also agree on the Meater price point. The Smoke works fine for me, and while I’d like to eliminate the wires, it’s not worth $230+. 

Now if I could get 4 thin wireless probes, cooking metrics in an easy to use app, and an option for a controller in the $200 price range, I’d be in! :)

11 minutes ago, jark87 said:

Totally agree, although I’d use a wireless probe for some rotisserie cooks if I had one. I'd just prefer wireless over wired for convenience - even for normal, non-rotisserie cooks. I also agree on the Meater price point. The Smoke works fine for me, and while I’d like to eliminate the wires, it’s not worth $230+. 

Now if I could get 4 thin wireless probes, cooking metrics in an easy to use app, and an option for a controller in the $200 price range, I’d be in! :)

It ain't gonna happen.  You can't even hardly get a wired controller for that anymore.  

sometimes i dont feel like setting up my whole fireboard and fan, so i have 1 meater+ probe. its neat. i like that it can read the ambient temperature from the end of the probe that doesnt go into the meat.

1 probe is ~$100. i found a discount code when i was looking around so it was a little bit cheaper than that.

• 4 weeks later...

We have a controller that works off our probe ports, so more than one blower can be used.  We also have a wireless probe (no cables).  So you get 2 in one, a controller and a rotisserie probe and up to 8 wired probes. We also are the only one on the market (with patent pending) that can do wired/wireless/control on one unit.  Tappecue was also the very first WiFi Cloud based thermometer launched in 2013, so we've been around and innovating continuously.  Search for Tappecue .com

One of our customers led us to this post.  Thank you,  Gina Bourret, Innovating Solutions (makers of Tappecue)