Vinegar in Chili (or anything) Question

I've never been a vinegar guy, but my mother-in-law gave me a pack of 4 different flavors (?) from Acid League.  I have a batch of chili going right now, and I'm reading that vinegar can really balance it out and give it what it's missing.  I plan to use the Garden Heat vinegar. 

The recipes I see say to add it at the end before serving, but this is a large batch that two of us will be eating on for a few days.  Should I still add it to the entire thing at the end, or should it be added to each individual bowl when we heat it up?

Also, if anyone has any other uses of vinegar outside of salad dressings and canning/pickling, I'd welcome it. Especially if it's in cocktails!  I have a lot of this stuff!

I used it before in a "pickled dill seed" loaf of bread I baked.  It makes coleslaw delish.  It can be a great part of a meat marinade.  Try it on french fries or grilled potatoes.  Anything you cook where you want a little zing or tang.  Make homemade mustard.

On 1/22/2022 at 12:33 PM, MikeRobinson said:

I have recently been slowly-absorbing a very-scholarly cookbook whose title is: "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat."  But I have not yet gotten to the "Acid" part.

It's definitely a blind spot in my cooking. I focus waaaay more on the salt and HEAT!

On 1/22/2022 at 3:29 PM, philpom said:

I used it before in a "pickled dill seed" loaf of bread I baked.  It makes coleslaw delish.  It can be a great part of a meat marinade.  Try it on french fries or grilled potatoes.  Anything you cook where you want a little zing or tang.  Make homemade mustard.

Would you put it in mashed or smashed potatoes? Is that weird? I love mustard and potatoes, so this could make sense.

On 1/22/2022 at 3:59 PM, Jack. said:

Malt vinegar as a post-cook sprinkle on french fries or oven roasted/grilled potatoes is delicious.  Just ask anyone from the UK.

One of them is "Smoked Malt," so that should be perfect for fries. May have to try that tomorrow. I have Garden Heat, Strawberry Rosé, Smoked Malt, and Cabernet Port. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am using vinegar more and more in cooking and even in mixed drinks. Found this article that may offer ideas and insights.

BTW, I take two capfuls of apple cider vinegar each day. Also a balsamic vinegar glaze, Nona Pia from Costco has been great on pork for us.

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/how-vinegar-works.htm

On 2/21/2022 at 6:50 AM, mike echo said:

I am using vinegar more and more in cooking and even in mixed drinks. Found this article that may offer ideas and insights.

BTW, I take two capfuls of apple cider vinegar each day. Also a balsamic vinegar glaze, Nona Pia from Costco has been great on pork for us.

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/how-vinegar-works.htm

Thanks! What mixed drinks? This intrigues me the most, haha

Now that I think about it…..I had some vinegar on white rice at a surfer restaurant some time back. Never did find out what kind, it was out of a generic pour bottle.

May have been rice vinegar. Tasted fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 7:53 AM, mike echo said:

Now that I think about it…..I had some vinegar on white rice at a surfer restaurant some time back. Never did find out what kind, it was out of a generic pour bottle.

May have been rice vinegar. Tasted fine.

I will be trying both of these and researching more. From what I've found so far, a little goes a long way. Don't want to taste the vinegar much at all, just use the acid to open things up. Thanks, again!

Just try using it as a seasoning/finish in your foods

oftentimes, you'll taste something and it seems a little "dead" even after you use a little salt, give it a splash of vinegar (i find apple cider to be the best "all around player" in this regard, or lemon juice) and you'll be amazed at how just a little bit of acid just wakes everything up