Fun with Dutch ovens

We spent a few weeks in the mountains at our cabin in December last year. One of the funnest parts of going up there is the cooking and the food. For some odd reason after a day of splitting wood and stacking it, dragging railroad ties around for landscaping or taking down a block fire pit to move it and rebuild it.... Every meal is the best you ever had.

20211230_145525.thumb.jpg.acf0e42ad268da08158ebdbbfcfcc16d.jpg

everything was cooked like so.  It's a fun and relaxing way to do it and offers a great level of control.

Breakfast pizza

We tossed everything including the kitchen sink in this.  Chorizo,  bacon,  breakfast sausage. Cheese. Olives, eggs etc.. I will admit to using wack o can of dough.

20211231_103333.thumb.jpg.a9b7e5ed4511998f029823441eab2d7c.jpg

20211231_133450.thumb.jpg.47669eee589e143e34fe2d6cb89384c9.jpg

20211231_131352.thumb.jpg.e140e7ae5a664a4944b1be6a877c3e6f.jpg

Chuck roast 

It was cold, getting down near single digits and this was perfect for it.  Standard stuff, carrots, onion, potatoes, herbs and beef broth.

20211230_141118.thumb.jpg.0ef9b954532d44fdc3ba5fb4ef00d46c.jpg

20211230_191859.thumb.jpg.6021c2f60bd8328418756dc68ba80a9a.jpg

It's also nice cooking this way since we heat with wood the wood stove is a great place to keep food warm or even reheat it.

3 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

FYI – you can put a Dutch Oven in your kamado grill ... or, if you insist, your kitchen oven (ick ...) ... also.

I've done quite a bit of Dutch oven cooking in the kamado and suspended over a pit but am really interested in doing more by mounding coals on and around the pot.  I enjoy the process as much as the food. Maybe more.

2 hours ago, philpom said:

I enjoy the process as much as the food. Maybe more.

It gives you yet another excuse to play in the fire - something primitive and satisfying about that.  (jk)

Completely agree.  One thing I miss on kamados is the fire control - I just don't mess with the fire bed nearly as much as with some other grills I've had.  Arrange it to begin with, and let it ride.  Almost like cheating it's so much easier.

13 hours ago, philpom said:

I've done quite a bit of Dutch oven cooking in the kamado and suspended over a pit but am really interested in doing more by mounding coals on and around the pot.  I enjoy the process as much as the food. Maybe more.

I don't know how much experience you have with mounding coals on and around the pot, but here is a YouTube play list that shows how to do a lot of that.

16 hours ago, philpom said:

yeah, it's pretty much 100% about the process for me. Bringing back memories of all the times I never herded cattle, roped steers, spent the night out on the range, sleeping on a blanket with my saddle as a pillow...

14 hours ago, Boater said:

It gives you yet another excuse to play in the fire - something primitive and satisfying about that.  (jk)

Completely agree.  One thing I miss on kamados is the fire control - I just don't mess with the fire bed nearly as much as with some other grills I've had.  Arrange it to begin with, and let it ride.  Almost like cheating it's so much easier.

It's why I never understood the concept of the pellet joe. How much easier does it need to be?

On 1/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, CentralTexBBQ said:

yeah, it's pretty much 100% about the process for me. Bringing back memories of all the times I never herded cattle, roped steers, spent the night out on the range, sleeping on a blanket with my saddle as a pillow...

Ha!  I did own a quarter horse named Trigger when I was a kid and let him slurp root beer off my hand after he spent a day harassing the dairy cows next door.  Our honeymoon included horseback riding through the backcountry.  That counts for something right?  He was like a giant puppy.

Cooking with fire, that's where it's at!

On 1/28/2022 at 7:47 AM, Golf Griller said:

I don't know how much experience you have with mounding coals on and around the pot, but here is a YouTube play list that shows how to do a lot of that.

Mrs. philpom likes to watch Kent's videos for cobbler/pie/casserole dishes to cook while we are up at our cabin.  Kent is not far from us just north across the boarder in Oklahoma.