Outdoor kitchen nearing completion!

jark87

This project has taken MUCH longer than anticipated, but is nearing the end. Confession: it’s not a DIY project, but this seems to be the section of the forum for construction projects. I at least did all of the design work, including the steel roof framing. :) All that’s left is granite, installation of gasser and KJ, privacy slats at the back, and tongue-in-groove cedar ceiling. Can’t wait!

Previous kitchen:

image.thumb.jpeg.dab3ebb5f166f2e8a335d2d4dcf8575d.jpeg

New build:

image.thumb.jpeg.32e8bc0f236e9cb8054b76438c8775cb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.18624c4e0744c19c8ac45e658fb5f99b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.930c58d56eb51e51e13010dfad3e84e4.jpeg

4 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Wow, that is really looking nice. Love the metal girders supporting the roof cover. Is that a spot for a WFO in the corner of the L?

Steel was required due to the way we wanted the cover. We didn’t want posts in the middle of our patio, so we needed something strong enough to support the entire structure from 1 side. In terms of WFO, probably not. That corner will just be part of the granite countertop, but there’s enough space for a WFO if I ever want to get one. Most likely, it will serve as space for a TV whenever I want to carry one out. Now that everything is wireless, I can easily grab a TV from a spare bedroom and all I need is an electrical outlet.

• 3 weeks later...

Granite installed and buzzard exterminated, at least at this sun angle. Just need carpentry work, finish electrical, and add the KJ! BTW, does anyone know how well the ceramic feet work? I have those, but want to make sure I protect the granite underneath the KJ. While many short stands that provide more airflow exist for the BGE, the base of the KJ is wider and won’t fit on those. Heat protective mats say to provide at least 4” of space, which the ceramic feet don’t provide - maybe an inch or so.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e33e502acc4004de8d41321c18a6dc2.jpeg

23 hours ago, jark87 said:

While many short stands that provide more airflow exist for the BGE, the base of the KJ is wider and won’t fit on those. Heat protective mats say to provide at least 4” of space, which the ceramic feet don’t provide - maybe an inch or so.

I use one of those BGE stands in my table, it give me almost 3 1/2 to 4 inches of air space between the bottom of my kamado and the surface where it sits. That surface sits above a drawer and if the kamado sat directly on it, the contents of the drawer would get pretty hot even to the point of melting or combusting what I put in there.  If it were me, I would approximate  the design from a durable looking BGE stand and then have a local metal shop make one to fit my KJ. The design of those stands is really simple, basically just a steel ring with a flat steel  X welded across the middle, with ears welded  on the ring to keep the kamado in place and welded on  legs to hold your kamado off the surface. Make it sturdy, and then paint it or powder coat it or have it made out of stainless and your good to go. it will last pretty much for ever and, IMO, is probably the best solution to your issue. By the way, absolutely great looking outdoor kitchen set up, just beautiful. 

56 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

If it were me, I would approximate  the design from a durable looking BGE stand and then have a local metal shop make one to fit my KJ.

That’s a great idea. The guy that did my steel beams could probably do it. I was really surprised that I couldn’t find a stand to fit the KJ. Those ceramic feet don’t provide much clearance at all, but I assumed they did the job since that’s the only thing available.

55 minutes ago, jark87 said:

That’s a great idea. The guy that did my steel beams could probably do it. I was really surprised that I couldn’t find a stand to fit the KJ. Those ceramic feet don’t provide much clearance at all, but I assumed they did the job since that’s the only thing available.

Yeah, BGE used to make them as well. Aesthetically they go quite well with the general kamado vibe. The color matches and they continue the ceramic grill look. However, when it actually comes to how they work, I think they come up short. There was a old post on a website called Naked Whiz which is actually a Charcoal and BGE review site. The jest of the article showed the charring that occurs when a kamado is set on concrete blocks or tile pieces used to protect a wood table surface. Bottom line, the base and anything it sits on gets pretty hot especially over time on long cooks. The post also talks about the necessity of an adequate air space to allow heat to sluff off the bottom of your kamado and prevent the surface that holds it from over heating. Based on this, I think what a stand does is much more important than what it looks like. After all, since it appears you have to make it or have it made, you can do pretty much anything you want aesthetically. The  general idea is simply to fully support the weight of your kamado while opening up it's base surface to air flow. a ring or rings connected with flat pieces which still exposes a significant area on the bottom of the kettle is the best bet, IMO, anyway. Therefore,  the shape and design of what's visible like the outer edge, legs, and feet is up to you. Maybe something that reflects the metal work in  and color of your patio cover would go well. . 

Good question, @Boater.  I have the OEM ceramic feet under my Primo XL and they are about 7/8" thick.  I've never had a problem with that clearance distance, so I'm guessing 1.75" will be fine.  That does look like a good product, and at a fair price.

Yeah, I agree with Jack. That universal stand looks strong and capable. The price is actually more than fair IMO, as it would probably cost more than $50.00  to have someone make you one. I think the air gap is sufficient and  your granite base will get warm but not screaming hot. The X pattern of the bars in the stand exposes the overwhelming majority of the ceramic surface area on the bottom of your kamado which will allow heat to sluff off into the air flow between the stand and your base surface. The stand is flat on top without ears to hold a kamado in place, but the niche in your kitchen set up covers three sides and  provides a very protected space for your kamado to sit and remain stable. I am thinking you found the perfect solution without a lot of hassle. That kitchen looks truly amazing. Great Job, Sir. Happy Cooking.