Hello from Kansas

Colin1230

Greetings folks,

I am a retired, life long Weber fan and have been cooking most of my adult life. I just ordered an Akorn from Amazon to get my feet wet in this style of cooking. I am really looking forward to learning new things and maybe sharing a thing or two.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome! Missing my home town Kansas City BBQ is what led me to getting a Kamado. Follow the recipes and tips on here and you'll feel like a pitmaster in no time. 

Greetings fellow retiree! I made my exit 4 years ago and haven’t looked back! Like you, I’m a longtime Kettle fan and still have mine, but absolutely love my kamado. You’ll enjoy this site.

Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks!

Hello and Welcome from a retired Canadian Akorn nut.  I pulled the plug early, three years ago and thanks to the pandemic have spent most of that time playing with the Akorn instead of travelling.  

Let’s hear the stories and see the photos of your experiences!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!  I bought an "Akorn, Jr." at Wal-Mart one day – instead of the inevitable(?) Weber – and have never since looked back.  (My Dad bought a "senior" at my suggestion.)

The thing that you'll most come to love from "Kamado cooking," I think, is: "control."  With the help of an external-reading thermometer ... ($35-or-so at Home Depot, wireless even ...) ... you'll find that you can reliably plan your cooking targets, and hit them most of the time.  (And then be left with unburned charcoal the next day!)  Kamado – no matter which grill you choose to buy – is a convection oven cooking process that exploits "the temperature of the fire" much more efficiently than other processes do, through the use of hot air.  "It is quite an eye-opener."