Birthday BRISKET!

Welp, my wife reminded me couple days ago its me birthday on sat feb 12.  What do you want to do she asks?  Nothing I said, just babysit my brisket :mrgreen:

I picked up a Costco choice 14lb for 4.49lb.  I will be following the mad scientist Youtube channels wagyu tallow process for this one.  As in when it's time to wrap he lathers up the inside of the butcher paper with the south chicago company wagyu beef tallow for bottom of brisket.  He does it again before the towel and cooler rest which he does for 8hrs!  I may not rest for 8hrs lol.

trim, dry salt brine for 6hrs, start smoker, pull from fridge let rest, get kamado stabilizing on smoking temps, mustard binder, rub (1part pepper, 1/2 part salt, 1/2 part Lawrys, 1/2 part garlic powder), get her on the grill.  Using flame boss wifi thermometers.  One for grill temp, one for brisket.  I wish I had more as I like one in point and one in flat.  Will take the bark as long as possible into the stall as tallow will soften it.  Wrap it in the wagyu tallow, pull at 202, towel wrap and cooler for at least 4hrs.  

Will start at 12am to 1am and going to use my flame boss wifi thermometer.  LOOKING FOR ADVICE HERE.  Going to set low alarm at 210 and high at 245 please critique those temps 

IMG_7996.jpeg

fat cap is 1/4"...Got her shaped up and in the fridge on a rack in a pan with dry salt brine.  The burnt end mohawk is looking good!

The flame boss app only sends a text with a single ding for the temp alarm getting out of range.  I wish I could make a real alarm that would wake you.

I want to get it down in the low 230s.  I set top end alarm for 245 which I'm up against it but the coals got a raging briefly when I opened and put everything on.  I have the heat diffusers down at lowest possible point then I wrapped my 15" pizza stone in foil and have that on top of the dutch oven attachment.  Followed by a large 13" round drip pan shoved to one side then a small rectangular 4x6 barely shoved next to it so that I have coverage along the entire length of my brisket.  I know it's unconventional perhaps but my thinking is I can always take longer to cook by overprotecting it but I can't undo a burn/overcooked flat/bottom.

well...sigh...New variables equals unknowns.  Very surprised unknowns but still.  I had bought a bag of oak BB lump and a bag of FOGO SUPER PREMIUM lump.  I used the BB prior it was fine, tons of tiny pieces disappointing but burned good.  Fogo is the same, littered with garbage tiny pieces inside.  I'm gonna but the small BB Oak lump logs... I digress.  I started the fire at 1145pm, got the brisket on at 1247 pm.  As you can see in the graph the slow decline in temp.  I went to bed at 347am stabilized at 238F.  I woke up around 615 to see it was lower, I went and opened bottom vent good 35-40%, top vent 15% more.  An hr of sleep later Flame Boss sends low temp alert.  Long story the entire ash basket of fogo burned out in 7hrs!!!  WTF?  It was full to the brim of the basket.  So I had to take brisket off, I put some BB lump in got it rolling and brisket was off for maybe 20 min.  It dropped 14 degrees from taking off point to back on internally.  

IMG_8195.jpeg

IMG_8200.jpeg

51 minutes ago, len440 said:

Happy birthday what time is the party?

well it was going to be brisket off around noon, cooler and towel until 5pm.  But we looking bit later now lolz.  Brisket prob not done until 3pm I imagine.

Now I got the BB in after the abnormal burn of the fogo...I'm getting damn ammonia smell pretty strong.  I'm frustrated there is no answer why this is happening.  This is now 3 diff brands of lump I have had this issue with.  I'm calling Kamado Joe on Monday for answers.

2 hours ago, JLP said:

.I'm getting damn ammonia smell pretty strong.

Is it possible that the smell is not the charcoal or the interior of the kamado.  Could it be from the exterior when it heats up, like something you wiped the exterior down with? 

I had a very similar experience with Fogo Super Premium in my Big Joe.  I couldn't believe how fast a basket burned down despite rolling at only roughly 250.  It maintained stable temps, but was too far burned down to catch up after opening the lid, even after opening the dampers .

6 hours ago, JohnnyAppetizer said:

Is it possible that the smell is not the charcoal or the interior of the kamado.  Could it be from the exterior when it heats up, like something you wiped the exterior down with? 

I have not used any chemicals on it thus far in my short ownership.  And it is quite obvious when you smell the smoke stack or open the lid its coming from inside the grill.  Last burn off I did only 2 cooks in the ceramic smelled just fine.  a warm non existent smell if that makes sense.  

I'm baffled and honestly have been grilling 20 years never smelled anything like this until my Kamado introductions.