Cured garlic bacon smoked

Nothing better than perfectly pan fried home cured bacon!

This was a 2 pound 15 ounce slab of belly.  I use Morton Tender Quick for all of my curing so this worked out to almost 3 tablespoons of cure.  I just rub the curing salt all over the pork well.  I like to go ahead and rub my flavors on at this point before the cure period begins since my experience tells me the flavors penetrate better.  In this case I coated it with a healthy dose of granulated garlic.  Then it goes in to  vacuum bag for 7-8 days.  I flipped it over each day.  At the end of 7 days I opened it up and gave it a good rinse under cool water being sure to rub it well to get the cure and garlic off, patted it dry and let it sit on the counter while I started the Primo.

20220214_202427.jpg

After it smoked I threw it in the fridge overnight to make slicing easy.  A sharp knife and cold bacon makes for perfect thin slices.  The smoking process resulted in a nice raw look to the final product.

20220214_200936.jpg

I started smoking at about 130f and after 4 hours was still well under 200f.  I'm very satisfied with that.

20220213_163910.jpg

The belly was smoked using hickory chips for 4 hours until it reached an internal temperature of 150f.  It tightened up a bit during the process but rendered very little fat.  The low temp combined with the slow rise in smoker temp aided in this.   

20220213_163951.jpg

Here it is after the cure was all washed off.  Fantastic color and smelled wonderful.

20220213_135102.jpg

After 7 days in the fridge but before it was opened and rinsed.

20220213_132544.jpg

The garlic came through but not in an overpowering way.  Salt content is perfect, it tastes delicious!  I smoked this last Sunday and started another slab of pork belly at the same time.  Can't wait to try it.  It was flavored with fennel, caraway, thyme, bay leaf, garlic and black pepper. 

2 hours ago, daninpd said:

You  have inspired me.  I'm going to try what you did, except rub with crushed garlic in place of the granulated to get a fresher garlic taste.  Looks great.

You might want to re-think that...

Garlic (fresh) and vacuum don't play nice, unless you like botulism.

21 hours ago, mbellot said:

botulism

Saw an informative clip on botulism and curing meats a while ago. It don't relate to garlic, but I found it informative.  Seems like a fair number of folk here do some curing, maybe this is old hat to them. 

2 hours ago, Boater said:

Saw an informative clip on botulism and curing meats a while ago. It don't relate to garlic, but I found it informative.  Seems like a fair number of folk here do some curing, maybe this is old hat to them. 

The primary purpose of the nitrites and nitrates is to prevent botulism and other pathogens.  The curing salts I use have both.  It's important that folks are aware of the measures they must take.

Okay, I do all of my bacon with Tender Quick, and the fresh garlic red flag got my attention.  But I am going to throw in a little maple sugar to the cure.  Just for a hint in the background to your recipe.   With your permission I'll post pictures here?

12 hours ago, daninpd said:

Okay, I do all of my bacon with Tender Quick, and the fresh garlic red flag got my attention.  But I am going to throw in a little maple sugar to the cure.  Just for a hint in the background to your recipe.   With your permission I'll post pictures here?

No permission required, I'm certain everyone wants to see more bacon!  I have another belly ready to smoke today.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dang... Now I'm going to have to give this a go as well. I have wet cure and dry cure as well for when I make hams. Any advice on buying "belly" if I can find it somewhere?

56 minutes ago, A.O. said:

Any advice on buying "belly" if I can find it somewhere?

I buy mine at a Asia/Pacific market.  Most Asian markets will have pork belly, often frozen. 

21 hours ago, A.O. said:

Well, dang... Now I'm going to have to give this a go as well. I have wet cure and dry cure as well for when I make hams. Any advice on buying "belly" if I can find it somewhere?

I ha e found it at Asian markets, sometimes Sam's Club.  I found a reliable source at a small local butcher shop.  Try calling around and if they don't have it ask if they can order it for you.  You can also check any local ranches, we have several that sell meat at the farmers market.

I generally followed @philpomrecipe, but added some maple sugar to the cure and added a good coat of coarse cracked black on the outside.  I had two 1-1/4 lb pieces of pork belly (skin on) to cure, after skinning about 1 lb each.  One of them skinned out to be a long, narrow, foot long piece of pork.  After putting it in the cure and vacuum sealing I waited about 4 hours and then started pushing the meat inside the bag to try to make a nicer piece to smoke (think squeezing a toothpaste tube from the bottom).  It worked, you can see the length of the bag is the "before" and the "after" is that piece after the cure.  Smoked and held that shape just fine.  I included a picture of the setup I used for a 4 hour low and slow ending with a 210 degree finish and a 160 IT.  Thinly sliced for my favorite BLT:  in a croissant.

DMP_2924.JPG

DMP_2925.JPG

DMP_2928.JPG

DMP_2933.JPG

DMP_2935.JPG

DMP_2937.JPG

Looks great, I need more, we ate it so fast!  The second batch I did recently with fennel, caraway, thyme and bay leafe was even better.