My struggles with the summit kamado.

Hi all,

Many people raving about how the summit holds temps like a champ, however it just doesnt do it for me...

I've tried countless methods and settled to dumping 1/3 - 1/2 basket (not chimney) worth of lit charcoal in the middle where i dig a hole all the way to the bottom. Also settled to always be at the smoke setting for the bottom vent, and only touch the top.

Most of the times the fire either dies down on me or shoots waaay up, it just wont hold 225-250 no matter the minute adjustments.

Have a look (for reference 110c is about 225 and 120c is 250)

http://share.fireboard.io/A3AD13

Pardon the rant on some of the notes :)

Any suggestions?

10 hours ago, souroull said:

Have a look

I tried to view the link, but it only brought me to the general Fireboard "shared sessions" page, without any specifics.  Not subscribed to Fireboard, so don't know if that's the problem, or some odd setting on my phone (wrong browser, etc.)

I can easily hold pretty well any temp I choose with my S6.  My process (for smoking) is in basic terms to:

1. Fill the lower charcoal grate area with lots and lots of lump charcoal.
  2. Light a SMALL area of that charcoal with my MAPP torch - holding the flame to a small area for 30-50 seconds usually does it until I know it is lit well.
  3. Put on the heat diffuser, main cooking grate (and any drip pans etc) and set the lower vent on the "smoke" position, and upper vent hinge closed, but with the 4 holes 80% open.
  4. Let the temperature slowly rise until it hits about 225 (I prefer to smoke at around 250 on the dome thermometer), then shut the top vent down to about 40% and tap the smoke vent on the bottom just a tiny bit more closed.  This usually take 30-40 minutes depending on outside temps etc....can be almost 1 hour in freezing temps.  Don't rush this step...if you get your fire going too hot/spread....becomes a lot harder to manage.
  5. It usually settles in right there after rising another 20-25 degrees.  I rarely have to touch the bottom vent after it is shoved a little more closed from the smoke position...I make fine adjustments with the top vent.

On 2/27/2022 at 3:38 AM, souroull said:

Hi all,

Many people raving about how the summit holds temps like a champ, however it just doesnt do it for me...

I've tried countless methods and settled to dumping 1/3 - 1/2 basket (not chimney) worth of lit charcoal in the middle where i dig a hole all the way to the bottom. Also settled to always be at the smoke setting for the bottom vent, and only touch the top.

Most of the times the fire either dies down on me or shoots waaay up, it just wont hold 225-250 no matter the minute adjustments.

Have a look (for reference 110c is about 225 and 120c is 250)

http://share.fireboard.io/A3AD13

Pardon the rant on some of the notes :)

Any suggestions?

Definitely using too much lit coal initially.

I use a single fire starter... Lite it with lid open and wait 10 minutes for the coals to get hot.  Then I close lid and adjust vents.  When I close the lid, I have about a fist full of coals burning.

Seems to work for me