SLO-roller fitting in original big joe

I got a slo roller attachment for Christmas to go with my original big joe and we’ve finally had a nice enough day to get out and try it out. 

quick question - it seems to sit way too high in the kamado unless I take the fire ring out and rest it directly on the fire box. Is that right?? I can’t seem to find a video with my exact setup of an old school big joe. 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, &roid said:

I got a slo roller attachment for Christmas to go with my original big joe and we’ve finally had a nice enough day to get out and try it out. 

quick question - it seems to sit way too high in the kamado unless I take the fire ring out and rest it directly on the fire box. Is that right?? I can’t seem to find a video with my exact setup of an old school big joe. 

The add-on SLO-ROLLER causes the grill grate to sit 2 to 3 inches above the typical grate level.  The 3 series Kamado Joe grills have a deeper base to accommodate this design in a better fit.  If you still have a fire ring, you could remove it I supposed and have it sit lower, but if you ever have to have a warranty replacement for your original firebox, you will receive the new AMP firebox design that does not have the separate fire ring and the sloroller will be elevated again.