Inkbird 2 probe

Sorry if this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything the stickies.

Doing a slow roast for mothering Sunday.

The wire thermometer is giving off the grill temperature, my lamb can't be at 130F in 2hrs at 130 it's impossible.  I lift the lid of the Kamado Joe and the temp drops to 85f which about.  I've tried the Tin foil trick but to no avail.  Any other ideas... For now I'll base cooking times on 30minutes per pound and pen every hour

You say you're cooking at 130 F?  Haven't seen a kamado that can stay that low.  

If you have a meat thermometer / "instant read" probe, use that.  Or am I reading this wrong?

I don't know, but that description sounds like what I would say when someone kept topping up my wineglass.  I'm not sure if there was a question in there or what.  But, no, no other ideas than lamb is tricky.

So... The meat thermometer probe was reading at grill temperature not meat temperature.  How do I prevent this 

When opening the lid of the Kamado the probe temperature matched the pen.

So in days of old, I used to crumple up tin foil and lift the wire above the hot spots.  This didn't work ... Anything else I can try??

Sorry for confusion it was 5am when I posted.

8 hours ago, Boater said:

Is the meat probe wearing out? 

It's brand new.  The only thing I can think of is maybe the wires twisted.  Or it's reading from mesh that closes around the Kamado Joe.  I'll give it another at the weekend, more concerned for overnight cooks.  As I'm new to all of this low and slow cooking I don't want to mess it.up