Akorn - any rainproof solutions?

There have been occasions where my grill gets caught in the rain. My four year old Akorn 6520 remains too hot to risk covering for as long as 5 hours after cooking on it.  I don’t have an overhang to protect it before it cools down. This has happened about twice a year.

I do have a bit of rust just above the lower bottom half rim. However it’s mostly on the surface and remains cosmetic for the most part.

Of greater concern to me is the water that has filled between the walls of the lower fire bowl. Pretty sure it mostly enters rolling down the bottom rim.

Has anyone come up with a solution to prevent water from getting into the fire bowl?

12 hours ago, EOh said:

There have been occasions where my grill gets caught in the rain. My four year old Akorn 6520 remains too hot to risk covering for as long as 5 hours after cooking on it.  I don’t have an overhang to protect it before it cools down. This has happened about twice a year.

I do have a bit of rust just above the lower bottom half rim. However it’s mostly on the surface and remains cosmetic for the most part.

Of greater concern to me is the water that has filled between the walls of the lower fire bowl. Pretty sure it mostly enters rolling down the bottom rim.

Has anyone come up with a solution to prevent water from getting into the fire bowl?

A cover is really the only perfect solution.   You could drill a small hole in the middle of the outside shell on the very bottom so at least any water that gets in will drain.  Consider a patio umbrella or one of those affordable grill shelters.  

Search the akorn section and I posted instructions on how to take the bottom pan apart and seal it and reassemble.   "Sealing ashpan" or something like that.

I've always meant to try that small hole drilled in the bottom just never got around to it yet. Over a year ago I bought one of those inexpensive rectangular gazebos. Screwed into the deck, it has held up great through wind and rain and snow. Not full protection from heavy rain but better than nothing. Also mounted a solar light in it. Should have bought one of those years ago, I went through 2 regular umbrellas and and offset that could not handle being left in the wind.

https://smile.amazon.com/MASTERCANOPY-Garden-Gazebo-Outdoor-Canopy/dp/B07MD5CKBK

A friend of mine built a small pole-shed of sorts that sits on his back patio.  Made of 4x4s with a simple plastic corrugated slightly-slanted roof and not that much bigger than the grill.  About 8 feet high.  He attached hooks around all four sides and he hangs a couple of tarps from these to keep the blowing rain off.  (He removes the tarps before using the grill.)  Unlike a grill-cover, moisture won't become trapped underneath it.